Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2006, 12:09 PM

Default Need help quick / maniac to my left

Ok, so maybe he's not a maniac, simply because he isnt TOO aggressive post flop, but he is 93/20/1.75 through about 60 hands and loves to go call down or raise if he thinks you've missed. Since he is sitting to my left, he has cold called every one of my raises pre flop. This makes it extremely hard to act on the flop because i am always out of position and he will always raise me if he thinks the flop has missed me. Should I just start limping with my strong AK-AT hands. Should I just find another table since I am out of position??

EDIT: I'm playing 50max NL, my stack is about 50 and his is about 110.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Need help quick / maniac to my left

Ok I feel a little better, just caught my open ended and doubled up on him. Still, tips would be appreciated.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:16 PM

Finding another table when flustered is never a bad thing. I'd be inclined to pull a check-raise out of the bag of tricks to show him I mean business when the situation warrants.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:29 PM

switching tables and waiting to stack him are both good options....

try some bluff reraises if he is pulling moves on you with air
Old 06-08-2006, 02:04 PM

uber on my left is GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR 8 !!!

I will tighten up and limp everything. Pick good hands! Show weakness at every street, even river. I am a call station with only one number: check-call. Remember, you are playing few hands. Uber is exhausted from all the action he is giving/getting. Uber isn't particularly leary of you... he's more mindful of the other guy that's been trying to compete. He will try to isolate you and turn yet another tablemate into a donating fish.

River: the guys got garbage more than 50% of the time. On a non-scary board is when you pick up on him. Scary boards will shut him down (and me too usually). If I'm OOP, I'll check river if I think/know I'm ahead.... including the nuts! When he bets, I'll mini.... a true uber CAN'T resist the pull LOL and will usually come over the top. Even juicier is if uber is OOP and checks the river. I will ALWAYS toss out a small bet (¼ pot)..... and hang onto the rod with both hands lest it get ripped from your grasp.

I like two pair: since you have been playing only goot hands, yer two pair is probably #! and #2 pair. Trips and flushes are harder to extract; be selective on how far you want to follow. Now a set ..... mmmmmmmmmmm, I like cheese. Anything better than a set..... well, u get the picture.

You were fishing with the most tantalizing of baits (you are a weak fish, remember), you twitched the bait JUST A Little...... what Big O' Bass can resist.

Reel em In.

Put a fresh bait out and start trolling again.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:14 PM

In a rather creative fashion King Spew pretty much outlined how to play with a maniac on your left. Fake weakness with huge hands then come alive on the river. Against such a player 2 pair+ type hands should be enough. Check-raising works well also if he's the kind to bet when you check, if he likes to reraise your bets, then three bet him. If he's the kind to become passive post-flop then feel free to value bet into him hands you may otherwise play a bit more cautiously. David Sklansky and Ed Miller recently wrote a book on playing no-limit hold 'em. It's mostly a theory book. There is a section there on playing in such games.
One line I like against these punks is to raise preflop with a medium pair. Bet the flop after flopping a set, then check-raising their ass on the turn. They just can't help but stack off there.