Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2006, 09:58 AM

Default I Have No Self Control; Please Take The Mouse Away

I am in a rut. Since drawing down my Party account to $500.00 at the end of March (I just HAD to have three new Tiagra 16 reels [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]), I've been exclusively playing the $25 tables... and losing. I'm down over half my stack so far.

I signed up for the Review Session (I pity poor InfectorGadget.... he's sure to ruin his game watching me spew all over). What I did next was a sure sign I'm fluxed up..... I took the day off from work yesterday (OK, I work for myself, but I was neglectful..) and reviewed PT and found a TERRIBLE flaw. I seem to be very interested in seeing what villain has when he OVERBETS the pot or comes over the top LARGE on the river. It doesn't necessarily have to be an All-In, just a few clicks above PSB had my mouse SCAMPERING! for the Call button. As you would imagine, TRAGIC results.

So last night I sit down (One table, mind you) and VOW, I say VOW!! to be VERY selective (read as: DA NUTS, BABY!)in my river calls.

5th hand on the table. Villain has played the last four hands, three with him PFR 4X-5X and then check-calling fairly good bets with garbage. He did have bottom pair off the flop in hand three tho [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">CO ($26.80)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($27.65)</font>
SB ($13.18)
<font color="#C00000">BB ($26.95)</font>
UTG ($47.63)
MP ($21.50)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.22</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $1.97, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($4.79) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, BB calls $2.
<font color="blue">I love/hate this flop. The guy's been playing garbage,,,,,, let's see if he has any interest. </font>

Turn: ($8.79) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5.67</font>, BB calls $5.67.
<font color="blue">Nice to see a blank here.... let's get a few more bucks in there. If he's on the flush, I want to bet over ½ pot, but not too much to chase him out. I'm WAY ahead here </font>

River: ($20.13) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="blue">Oh crap! I can't put him on AK tho and the flush didn't get there.... maybe I can eek a tad more out of his stack </font>

BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7.2</font>, BB calls $17.06 (All-In), Hero......... of course I call.

In hindsight I'm thinking my flop should've more like ¾ pot. I don't want to lose him, but I gave WAY too much and evn I would call with #3 pair.
On the turn, I am still pretty convinced he doesn't have anything of value and before I bet, I try to think of river scare cards.
On the river: This is the part of my game that has been KILLING me lately. What should be my thoughts?
Old 06-08-2006, 10:03 AM

Default Re: I Have No Self Control; Please Take The Mouse Away

I dont think I could ever fold that river. 33 and we can discuss it but I still dont fold.

of course, I would have bet the pot on the flop so my turn bet would have been bigger as well, and I'd probably just leave myself 2/3 to 3/4 pot to shove in on the river and not worry about getting cr'd
Old 06-08-2006, 10:05 AM

I wouldn't worry about the jack either....it's more likely to make him 2 pair than a straight. What was he calling down with a gutter+flush draw? either way, this is fine and isn't spew. You have to call with a set here.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:07 AM

Pot the Flop, Turn and River.

Surely you cannot fold this hand at 100*BB stacks.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:07 AM

Bet less preflop, PSB on the flop (VERY drawy)

You should be very happy about the river. He's got AK??...insta-reload and get it back...he's a total idiot (edit: ok maybe not total if he had the FD too)
Old 06-08-2006, 10:08 AM

I don't think its a bad call on your part, that is quite a tough lay down, especially against a player who seems to have been very LAG. I am most likely also calling in your position and if he shows the AK or K9, I'll buy back in and wait to get my money back from the villain.

I woudn't be surprised either if the villain had hit 2 pair on the river and decided that was good enough to c/r but because of the tone of your post I'm guessing he hit his str.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:10 AM

IMO you played the hand well, maybe like you said bet closer to 3/4 to discourage someone with 4 spades from calling. You had to call the all in on the river with a set of Qs, especially because it is only $10 more to call, and this guy has been wild. Correct me if I m wrong First Post!
Old 06-08-2006, 10:22 AM

hand is fine, i bet more on the flop, was wondering about the unusual (2.22?? 5.67??) bet amount preflop and again on the turn. i never fold that river unless its live and he shows me AK or 89.

A hand I would consider folding would be QT. Even then I might be calling if the guys as bad as he appears to be. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2006, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hand is fine, i bet more on the flop, was wondering about the unusual (2.22?? 5.67??) <font color="blue"> I love the slider and usually have no control [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. Actually, I have been 6-10X PFR with QQ-TT lately...not sure it's a goot thing? </font> bet amount preflop and again on the turn. i never fold that river unless its live and he shows me AK or 89.

A hand I would consider folding would be QT. Even then I might be calling if the guys as bad as he appears to be. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the pleasure of seeing K9o get tossed onto the felt. LOL