Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2006, 08:44 AM

Default AKo Final Table UB $44

I don't have the hand history, and I know my play wasn't awful so I want to post a general question. Stacks:

1 - 52,000 - (HERO) most aggressive player at the table.
2 - 26,000 - I am very familiar with him. Solid tight player.
3 - 30,000 - Solid player, has re-stole from the table twice I think, cards weren't revealed.
4 - 60,000 - Tight.
5 - 50,000 - Hasn't impressed me much, seems weak tight.
6 - 16,000 - Hasn't been a factor, made some folds when clearly priced in.

I was pretty much having my way with the table. I felt like I was the best player and wasn't feeling threatened at all. First hand after the break, I pick up AKo. Blinds 1,000/2,000/200. I raise to 6,000 and Seat 5 pushes. I call because:

1.) He won a big pot and I thought he might have been feeling a little frisky.
2.) I had been raising a lot of pots, and shown down some weak hands to re-raises when I was priced in.

Obviously he had KK and I was sent to the rail but here's my question. Should I pass on a spot like this because I feel like I can run the table over? I don't hate money, but I have been doing well lately so moving up a couple spots wasn't important, I was playing to win.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:23 AM

Default Re: AKo Final Table UB $44

If you are going to fold AK to a reraise, I think people will catch on and you won't be able to run over the table any more.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:40 AM

6-handed I am willing to go to the felt w/ AK, but that's me. I like it, most of the time you're going against 66-QQ, AQs+, so I make this call. (1:~25 times you run into AA or KK)
Old 06-08-2006, 11:47 AM

You also say that you have been the most aggressive at the table, so people are willing to play back at you with a range wider than AA and KK here. Unfortunately your opponent had a hand at the top of his range. I pretty much call there every time though.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
6-handed I am willing to go to the felt w/ AK, but that's me. I like it, most of the time you're going against 66-QQ, AQs+, so I make this call. (1:~25 times you run into AA or KK)

[/ QUOTE ]
This is 6-handed and you have been aggressive, so a hand that you dominate is possible. The call should be cEV+.

Like I said, you can't just fold to a reraise if you don't have a big pair and expect to keep running over the table. People will resteal on you.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is 6-handed and you have been aggressive, so a hand that you dominate is possible. The call should be cEV+.

Like I said, you can't just fold to a reraise if you don't have a big pair and expect to keep running over the table. People will resteal on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't be truer
Old 06-08-2006, 05:10 PM

newbie here... but i would instacall.

you've created the LAG image for this reason... to induce a re-steal at the wrong time.

seems like a EV+ call to me. too bad it didn't work out. next time you'll end up a monster stack and take it home.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:52 PM

Assuming the guy you have labeled weak tight is restealing with a worse ace than yours seems like a less likely scenario than people are giving it credit for.
How much do you trust the "weak tight" read here?
I see all the meta reasons laying down AK sucks here- but I cant be as quick to ignore some of the other parts of the thought process.
I'd be interested in hearing what range you think a weak tight player would resteal/jam with here. I am not saying the call is wrong necessarily- I just see some other factors- which are that this guy has a pair here often based on your labeling of him.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you can't just fold to a reraise if you don't have a big pair and expect to keep running over the table. People will resteal on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word
Old 06-09-2006, 10:28 AM

I instacalled without a doubt in my mind. I discussed the hand with one of the other FT players after the tourney, which led to this post. He said he would lay down AK to that players re-raise in that spot. The range I put him on is AQs+, TT+. But, the way I was playing (FAST!!!) his range should probably widen slightly.