Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2005, 06:25 PM

Default $40/$80 hand at Borgata

I forget if we decided that $40/$80 is high stakes or not. If it is not I apologize.

So I have been good about not thinking about poker once I stop playing, but this hand came to mind late last night right before I went to bed...

The game is a typical weekday $40/$80 Borgata game. Pretty aggressive overall with 2-3 tags, 4 decent players, and the rest fish.

Preflop: Fish limps UTG +1, followed by 3 more fish limping in middle positions. I limp in cutoff with 9c8c. Regular pro on button who I characterize as overaggressive and too loose but decent reading skills postflop limps, another regular nitty player who plays ok preflop but horribly postflop completes the small blind, big blind checks.

Flop: As 9s 8s. Checked to UTG + 1 who bets. Three limpers call to me and I raise. Button 3 bets and small blind cold caps it very quickly. UTG +1 thinks and calls 3. The other 3 limpers fold to me. What's my play?
Old 12-30-2005, 06:47 PM

Default Re: $40/$80 hand at Borgata

I think you are getting 13-1 on the flop call so thatmakes sense. I would call the turn UI unless it goes bet, call, raise, raise. Then I think you are getting 10-1 and can lay it down.

It seems reasonable to think that you have 4 outs and they are good. (I am assuming here that the cold cap from the nitty players means you are ceratinly behind).
Old 12-30-2005, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you are getting 13-1 on the flop call so thatmakes sense. I would call the turn UI unless it goes bet, call, raise, raise. Then I think you are getting 10-1 and can lay it down.

It seems reasonable to think that you have 4 outs and they are good. (I am assuming here that the cold cap from the nitty players means you are ceratinly behind).

[/ QUOTE ]

I kinda mischaracterized the small blind. He's a nit in the way that he has a very narrow minded retarded view of how to play good poker. He overplays his hands postflop very badly and will never fold anything ever.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I kinda mischaracterized the small blind. He's a nit in the way that he has a very narrow minded retarded view of how to play good poker. He overplays his hands postflop very badly and will never fold anything ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree this is an interesting hand. what kind of hands does he overplay? 99? AQo? also i'm really interested to know how the hand went even if you want to wait a little while to let it out.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:24 PM

I'm not so sure about your flop play on that board, I may wait to see a safe turn card before considering a raise.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Results

When I play a hand like this, I usually think about cards I want to see on the turn before determining whether or not to continue. I couldn't really think of a single card that would make me feel like I had the best hand since I really felt I was up against a flopped flush and aces up/set. So I mucked.

The turn was Ac. Small blind leads again, call call. River was some spade. Small blind now disgustingly checks, early position limper bets, button raises, small blind calls 2 cold, and the limper calls. Button shows KTo with Ks, limper turns over AJo with Js, small blind turns over red AKo (not a typo, RED AKo).

I wanted to post the flop decision because I obviously have an easy muck once the turn comes. Thanks for the comments guys.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree this is an interesting hand. what kind of hands does he overplay? 99? AQo? also i'm really interested to know how the hand went even if you want to wait a little while to let it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

The dude overplays everything. He could be doing this with AQ, 99, 88 98, A9, AK, etc. What threw me off was how quickly he capped it. Did one of those take-four-chips-off-the-top-of-one-stack-slam-it-on-the-felt and almost yelling "raise!" He does stuff like that when he believes he is strong, but his idea of "strong" is so different than a decent player's idea of strong that this tell in this situation doesn't really narrow his range of hands down all that much.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:13 PM

If SB is one of the better regulars in the game you probably have no outs the deck. That game is not nearly as agressive as West Coast (or online)games and that much action usually mean big hands.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:37 PM

Default Fold now!

it is a fold once the betting comes back to you on the flop. to illustrate how big a fold it is i will pretend the flop was not as awful for you, and not all spades.

instead i will use Ah, 9s, 8s. you have so many opponents that bottom 2 on this board is a dog to win the hand. based on the betting you could be vs a set, a bigger 2 pair, and certainly huge draws. there are str8 and flush draws out, any spade, a T, 7, Q, or 6, could give someone a str8, an A will likely give someone trips, and if anyone played A9 or A8 you could easily get your full house and lose. of course not all these possibilities are out vs you, but some of them are, and with this size pot your opponents are going to the river. you are more then an 11 to 1 dog (which are your odds on the next card giving you a full house), and the add pot odds are an illusion. this is going to be expensive, and you don't win enough. it may look tough to fold, but it will save you $.

now if we go back to the origional flop, all spades, you are in even worse shape. fold, save $.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If SB is one of the better regulars in the game you probably have no outs the deck. That game is not nearly as agressive as West Coast (or online)games and that much action usually mean big hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's one regular in that game who is one of the bigger winners and I think would play AK exactly like this. But baring that, yes, I agree with you.