Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2006, 05:22 PM

Default Fish Migrate - But will ANYTHING ever drive new players away from NL??

We've all heard stories of big players, pros, regulars, etc - all shifting from limit to NL since the MoneyMaker effect really hit in '03-04 - chasing the new, bad players dumping their money. History and economics show that a trend like this won't last forever as equilibrium is reached. That said, becuase there's SO much momentum (TV coverage, WSOP, movies, online) I can't think of a real catalyst to slowdown the NL movement. Other games are arguably more exciting (Omaha - bigger hands win, more possibilities, etc), but NL is a runway train at this point. Unless "Rounders 2" has Mike & Worm jamming in the $50,000 S.H.O.E. event, I don't think anything can untrain the masses from NLH. Thoughts?
Old 06-06-2006, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Fish Migrate - But will ANYTHING ever drive new players away from NL??

You imply that there will be a neverending flow of new fish to the game. The question isn't as much, will new poker fish go primarily to NL, as it is, will new poker fish continue to join the games? That will have more of an effect on how juicy NL games are in the future.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Fish Migrate - But will ANYTHING ever drive new players away from NL??

Agree - I think we've all seen NL games get incrementally tougher over the last couple of years (especially online) - I just mean will there be another wave elsewhere within poker emerge???
Old 06-06-2006, 06:24 PM

Some people speculate omaha might take off because it is an "action game" (particularly hi-lo) where monsters are easier to make etc. It's hard to predict these things, though. PLO is popular in Europe B&Ms and not in America, who knows why? Many said NL cash games could never be viable and sustaining, the fish bust way too fast, but here we are. I think it all goes back to what's exciting on TV- NL plays so well on TV for some reason, if another game can do the same it may become popular as well.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Fish Migrate - But will ANYTHING ever drive new players away from

all I know is that the Bellagio has 2/5NL games (w/ 500max) running 3-4 to 5 tables EVERY night of the week...and 6-8 on the weekends

1/3 of the table are tight passive, 1/3 are good players, the other 1/3 ARE TERRIBLE...

I see it staying around for at least another 4-5 years
Old 06-06-2006, 07:03 PM

Omaha is too "complex" for it to ever be as popular with the average "dumb" American as NL Hold'em is. Plus, it's Pot limit and you can't go ALL-IN!!~!~!!!! as often.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many said NL cash games could never be viable and sustaining, the fish bust way too fast, but here we are.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was in all the 2+2 books and steered me away from NL for a long time. What a waste of time playing limit!!! It's one of the few pieces of standard 2+2 wisdom that is obviously just wrong in the modern era.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This was in all the 2+2 books and steered me away from NL for a long time. What a waste of time playing limit!!! It's one of the few pieces of standard 2+2 wisdom that is obviously just wrong in the modern era.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure the wisdom was dead on at the time of printing. Who could accurately foresee NLHE becoming an ESPN "sport" w/ kids high fiving after all-in coin flips?

Being a one-trick poker pony is boring anyway.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:12 PM

No limit is just more fun than limit.

That's the bottom line.

And that is what will keep players playing it.