Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2006, 02:00 PM

Default Stars 11s - think I butchered this one

Advice on all streets appreciated. I don't think I could have played this hand any worse.

PokerStars (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Seat 1: Button(1613 in chips)
Seat 2: SB (2305 in chips)
Seat 3: BB (2175 in chips)
Seat 6: (2173 in chips)
Seat 7: Hero (2800 in chips)
Seat 8: (2434 in chips)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of 100. BB posts a blind of 200.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls 200, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets 200</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets 400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises 1000 to 1400</font>, Hero calls 1400, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises 505 to 1905 and is all-in</font>, BB calls 375 (All-In), Hero calls 505.

Final Pot:

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has 8s 9s (full house, nines full of eights).
BB has 6h 9c (three of a kind, nines).
Hero has Kh Qh (flush, king high).
Outcome: SB wins and collected 6525 from main pot. </font>
Old 06-06-2006, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Stars 11s - think I butchered this one

I would stat by not limping.
Other than that, i guess i go broke at the 11s.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:25 PM

w/ your stack, t500-t550 to go PF usually.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:26 PM

I wouldn't limp with KQ. I'd either raise or fold.

At the turn you are getting 5:1 on your flush draw, but its not to the nuts, and it is possible that full house could be out there. I'd probably call too at the 11's.

Now on the river you've made a flush, but there's a bet and re-raise in front of you and you won't be closing the action. One of them is certainly not bluffing. I would be hard pressed to call this without the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

If you had reads on these guys indicating that there were complete donks that would be going nuts here with just top pair then I could call.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:49 PM

I think it's just the prefold where you should have raised 2.5x or 3x. There's not much you can do on the river, there are two 9's out there, just hope that they don't have a boat.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:52 PM

PF - Raise 2.5-3x

Flop - Bet... you have position and need some info... It's very likely that they did not hit anything and you'll take the pot down... if they call or raise you can slow down. 1/2 pot should do the trick. You're putting out 300 to win 600 and you'll still have a middle stack if you fold to a raise.

Turn - Without any information from previous streets it's tough... I would probably call here. Without BB calling I read SB's as a potential steal, I'd push. if he's got a hand (trips or top pair) you've got plenty of outs if he calls, but likely he'll fold.

River - Sucks to be you (hey, at least you made second best hand, right?).

Not to be results oriented... but SB's betting to keep both of you in the pot. If he was bluffing the turn and firing another barrel, he's betting much more on the river, not 1/3 pot. BB is saying "I have a hand" when he raises the small bet. Unless you have reads, you don't have the nuts and these two could literally have any two cards here. Saying that, I'm 99% sure I'd push here instead of calling [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

The bottom line is that you're playing with a good hand in position. You need to play from your position of power. This lets you take down pots when nobody's hit, and it allows the better hands to declare that they've got better hands.

Looking at this hand, if you even bet out the flop for 1/2 pot, SB slow play calls you and BB sees that he can get some action from his trips and you get to fold to his raise. You lose a total of 500, leaving you right there in the middle of the pack with 2300.