Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2006, 01:54 PM

Default AKo in a live tourney

Rebuy period has just ended. The table is generally loose and bad, with a couple exceptions. Blinds are 50/100.

from the hijack, hero, with ~1800 in chips, open raises to 300 with AKo. the cutoff is a tricky and good player who's played a lot with hero and knows he has a tight opening range. Cutoff pushes all-in for 1500. Folds back to hero. Call and hope for a race or wait to play another day?
Old 06-06-2006, 01:57 PM

Default Re: AKo in a live tourney

[ QUOTE ]
Rebuy period has just ended. The table is generally loose and bad, with a couple exceptions. Blinds are 50/100.

from the hijack, hero, with ~1800 in chips, open raises to 300 with AKo. the cutoff is a tricky and good player who's played a lot with hero and knows he has a tight opening range. Cutoff pushes all-in for 1500. Folds back to hero. Call and hope for a race or wait to play another day?

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you played against all these guys before? If not, then I don't know how you can make a judgement on their play just from a rebuy period.

Anywho, you have 18bb's, raised 3 of them and get reraise/shoved by villain who only has 15bb's. Easy call.

BTW, if you and villain only have 18 & 15 bb's after rebuy period of tourny just ended, what the hell were you guys doing during rebuy?
Old 06-06-2006, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Have you played against all these guys before? If not, then I don't know how you can make a judgement on their play just from a rebuy period.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a regular tournament. Some of the players are new, but it generally doesn't take too long to figure out that someone doesn't know what they're doing.

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, if you and villain only have 18 & 15 bb's after rebuy period of tourny just ended, what the hell were you guys doing during rebuy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate on this? I know a lot of players are very wild during rebuy periods, but I'm not too sure what the argument is. I tend to look for +EV situations and get my chips in, but I'm not about to manufacture action by pushing with rags.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:05 PM

To breakeven you'd need a winrate of 38.1%. QQ+,AK is 38.9%. I doubt he's tighter than that. EZCALL.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate on this? I know a lot of players are very wild during rebuy periods, but I'm not too sure what the argument is. I tend to look for +EV situations and get my chips in, but I'm not about to manufacture action by pushing with rags.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, don't really know what blind structure this tourney had, but after a rebuy period having only 18bb's is just ludicrous. I would imagine that if you had lost ZERO of your stack and did the addon and an initial rebuy (if allowed), that your stack would easily be 4 times what you have. How the heck can you play poker with 18bb's?
Old 06-06-2006, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To breakeven you'd need a winrate of 38.1%. QQ+,AK is 38.9%. I doubt he's tighter than that. EZCALL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain has 15bb's. His range is definitely way wider than this.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain has 15bb's. His range is definitely way wider than this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup. That's my point.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, don't really know what blind structure this tourney had, but after a rebuy period having only 18bb's is just ludicrous. I would imagine that if you had lost ZERO of your stack and did the addon and an initial rebuy (if allowed), that your stack would easily be 4 times what you have. How the heck can you play poker with 18bb's?

[/ QUOTE ]

fairly non-standard format. no addons. no double rebuy. yeah, i should've mentioned that in the original post.

I was actually villain in this hand but was arguing with the hero whether he made the right play. He folded face up. I showed AKo, thanked him for the chips and went on to win the tourney.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:50 PM

I think this is a race enough to be +EV. Also, you wont exactly have a ton of chips if you fold.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:07 PM

Considering stacks and decent chance hero dominates villian, easy call.

Retarded Q - which seat is the hijack?