Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2006, 08:37 AM

Default Two hands -- Would appreciate critique

No reads on Villain. 65/1.5/.76 over 73 hands.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.10 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">MP ($8.50)</font>
CO ($6.30)
Button ($9.02)
SB ($10.35)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($10)</font>
UTG ($7.27)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.10, MP calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.7</font>, UTG calls $0.60, MP calls $0.60, SB folds.

Flop: ($2.20) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, UTG folds, MP calls $2.

Turn: ($6.20) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6.2</font>, MP calls $5.80 (All-In).

River: ($18.20) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $18.20

No real reads on Villain. He's 45/0/.13 over 56 hands.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.10 BB (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">SB ($5.65)</font>
BB ($8.30)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($8.90)</font>
Button ($18.97)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $0.35, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($0.90) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.75</font>, SB calls $0.75.

Turn: ($2.40) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.25</font>, SB calls $2.25.

River: ($6.90) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.25</font>, SB calls $2.25 (All-In).

Final Pot: $11.40
Old 06-06-2006, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Two hands -- Would appreciate critique

1st hand I would just check and see a flop. I try to play small pots with top pair. Players at UB like to limp a lot with AK/AQ so I don't think you're ahead that often on the turn. SLOW DOWN

I probably check behind on the river in hand 2 but maybe I'm giving up some value
Old 06-06-2006, 09:10 AM

Hand 1 looks fine. With the nut redraw and villain's less than pot-sized stack you have to put him all-in on the turn.

Hand 2 - Check behind the turn with the plan to call/value bet a safe river. (In this case you would prefer to check behind both.) Checking the turn keeps the pot small which is what you should do with a marginal hand. A villain with a .13 AF likes to call so it's likely you will get a river call and not a bet or check raise unless villain has the goods.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:11 AM

In hand 1 you raise with a marginal holding when you will be OOP and in what is likely to be a multiway pot. You are probably better off checking. In addition, your actual bet is a bit larger than standard. As played, I would bet 3/4-PSB on the flop. Once he calls the flop bet you are WA/WB. I think a push on the turn is bad. A 1/2 PSB on the turn allows the K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and worse aces to stay in but with this line and you are putting all your chips in either way after the pot is bloated and there's no room for pot control due to the preflop action. Alternatively, you can check the turn and if he pushes you can probably fold. However, anything he bets that you can call pretty much pot commits you. Very little room to maneuver.

In hand 2 one might argue with playing the A8s but its only 4-handed so I think its fine. Given the short stack and drawy board I don't think there is room for pot control here...I think I play that one the same. Checking behind on the river may be best but I think that one is close.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:15 AM

Jouster,

You really feel that AJ is a marginal holding in 6-max? I like raising it from the blinds if limped to me because it is most likely the best hand. If there was a pre-flop raise then I prefer your line.

edit - corrected spelling errors
Old 06-06-2006, 09:17 AM

I agree with your point about bet-sizing in hand one. Usually if an opponent calls two pot sized bets, he has better than TP jack kicker.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jouster,

You really feel that AJ is a marginal holding in 6-max? I like raisng it from the blinds if limped to me because it is most likely the best hand. If there was a pre-flop raise then I prefer your line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I do. I am pretty wimpy from the blinds.

(not to imply this is exclusive to the blinds either [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])
Old 06-06-2006, 09:25 AM

4_2_it, why do u want to play a large multiway pot with AJo OOP?
Old 06-06-2006, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jouster,

You really feel that AJ is a marginal holding in 6-max? I like raising it from the blinds if limped to me because it is most likely the best hand. If there was a pre-flop raise then I prefer your line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I do. I am pretty wimpy from the blinds.

(not to imply this is exclusive to the blinds either [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't played the $0.10's in a while, but my recollection is that any A comes along here which is why I like AJ. If a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] hits the river it is doubtful hero gets another penny out of villain.

My line is a bit higher variance, while yours gives hero an escape hatch if villain wakes up. The thing that bothers me is the most people will raise AK or AQ religiously so I like playing this one aggressively.

In a raised pot, I think your line is the way to go. Being OOP sucks, but hero has a decent holding to play. If hero did not raise pre-flop, then I would say a check fold on the turn would be fine.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4_2_it, why do u want to play a large multiway pot with AJo OOP?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't. I want to raise enough pre-flop to thin the field and get it HU (or even just take it down right there). Maybe hero should have bumped it to a $1?????

By just checking in BB with AJ you probably need 2-pair or TP with the nut draw to continue. If you can get it HU, then being OOP is marginalized.

If hero would have limped, then turn is an easy check/fold here.