Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2006, 10:48 AM

Default 1/2 limit hand. Time to slow down?

Somewhat interesting hand I had on Doyles Room earlier.

1/2 limit.

Villain *claims* to be good, but is a pretty average player.

Hero is dealt KQs in the BB.

UTG raises, 2 callers PLUS the SB (villain) calls. I call as well.

Flop 9TJ (rainbow)

Villain checks, I check, UTG bets.

both preflop callers call, Villain raises, I reraise, UTG and both preflop callers fold, Villain caps and I call.

Heads-up to the turn.

Turn 8 (this puts two clubs on the board)

Villain bets, I raise, villain reraises, I cap. Villain calls.

River brings another T. (no flush possibility)

I'm now terrified that villain has filled up.

Villain bets...

Hero?
Old 06-05-2006, 10:59 AM

Default Re: 1/2 limit hand. Time to slow down?

He c/r then capped after you c/3-bet. I'm having a hard time justifying hands that he may have that he'd play like this that you have beat. I think you're beat here a lot more often than you're seeing something like Q8 or J9. He could be going nuts with AA or KK, but I find that quite unlikely. I'd call here. After skimming I thought, raise. Then I read it again and looked at the board and the action, and it looks like a call is in order.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:00 AM

I would raise and call a river 3-bet.

I think its still a bit early to be slowing down, as villain could have a Q high straight or trip T's, as opposed to a full house.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would raise and call a river 3-bet.

I think its still a bit early to be slowing down, as villain could have a Q high straight or trip T's, as opposed to a full house.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call. A pair of T's is not check/raising the flop and raising the turn. Q8 is a possibility if he is loose from the blinds, but it's MUCH more likely that villain filled up with 99, TT or JJ.

I'd guess that it's most likely that villain filled up, and then there's the possibilty that he is wildly overplaying an overpair. I don't think we're seeing a Q-high straight very often, and we're never seeing trip T's.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:14 AM

I don't think this can be just trip Ts as he wouldn't have gone so crazy with only a pair on the flop and turn. Playing a set this strongly on the turn seems a bit silly considering how scary the board is, but it's possible. Call the river, it looks like he's hit his boat.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:15 AM

*grunch*

Flop: Dont reraise SB on the flop you wanna make people stay in this pot go for action on the turn.

Turn: Well not much to discuss.

River: No stats on Villian or read. Well i would pump this as hard as i could. I think the chance of being outdrawn here is pretty slim considiring his fearless play on turn. One card straight and aggressive makes me pretty much rule out sets or 2P that includes 10s. I think you will face either KQ, or a single Q with a kicker that paired on flop.

Edit: Thought it was the other way around him capping turn, oh well, i would still raise but then call river.(r/c river is my play if that wasnt clear)
Old 06-05-2006, 11:29 AM

Your read isn't particularly helpful here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But given that that is all we have, I think I raise the river. Four to a straight on the turn and villain is still going. Does an average player do that with a set or two pair? Certainly possible, but I'll go with villain having a lower straight.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:45 AM

I think what we see when he hasn't hit the boat is another KQ. Maybe you're getting paid off by QcTc here, or some other unlikely holding. I think raising and calling is throwing away 2 bets here way more often than you are pulling in another bet or two.
That's another reason for calling. Often when you are ahead villian can bet/call only costing him 1 extra bet (or b/f costing him 0 extra, which is highly unlikely here), whereas when you are behind he can charge you two bets. You've gotta be good here more than half the time to raise the river. I doubt that you are.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:49 AM

raise and call if he reraises.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:05 PM

I agree with the previous comment not to reraise on the flop. You've put opponents that you'll have beaten in a position that it is not profitable to cold call two bets.

The hands that have you beat are: 99, JJ, 9T and TJ.

Other possible hands: 8Qs, QK, QA, QJ, QT, AJ, I don't think he would have called with 78 if he's an average player.

I do not think you try to bluff all the way. Considering your note on him, I maybe think that you were a bit frustrated by him, or the other way around. If you two had a discussion he could be trying anything to you.

I think that you beat more hands then that have you beaten. I would raise again. He was leading the whole hand and so he has to bet. You'll win this more often then that you'll loose. My guess for his hand is something like AJ or QJ of clubs.