Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2006, 03:15 AM

Default Anyone mind this slowplay?

Since slowplaying is rightly discouraged in almost every situation, I wanted to see if y'all agreed with my decision that this fit into the exceptions, explore the principles, etc. I'm bored.

Can't remember if I had any reads, so treat as unknown.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

Top set on a snoozefest board. There's hardly a card in the deck that will bother me on the turn, and even if I wanted to protect, a flop raise does nothing for me. Given my relative position, I won't even be able to protect against gutshots seeing the river (If I raise flop, all call, check turn to me, worst I can offer is 9:1 - plenty with implieds and pre/overcalls.)

Since protection isn't an option, my best line is to play for maximum value and hope it holds up or I catch the boat redraw.

The downside is if BB checks UI overs on a blank turn and callers check to me, I've missed the extra 1.5BBs I could have gotten on the flop. But I profit as long as two people enter the pot on the turn before I raise, allowing me to make 2+BBs. Plus, if someone turns top pair and raises, I get to three-bet and Jesus smiles. Also some marginally useful disguise value; think I'll get more river calls from a later raise, etc.

Pros outweight the cons? Pretty read-dependent?
Old 06-05-2006, 03:27 AM

Default Re: Anyone mind this slowplay?

RAAAAAAAAARRRR RAISE THE FLOP

No one's leaving the hand dude, raise and build that pot before the 8 on the turn freezes you up.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:02 AM

This is my first response so be gentle [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Grunch:

You are in perfect position to trap the field for two bets here. People are much more likely to fold to a turn bet by BB, get as much money out of them now as you can!
Old 06-05-2006, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a flop raise does nothing for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

incorrect, sir. A flop raise encourages others to "call" with weaker hands, thus extracting maximum value from your "made hand." Only by "making bets," would you expect your opposition to "call" those bets. When not "making bets" your opposition will not be "calling" bets. Thus I do not like a slow play.

Buzz
Old 06-05-2006, 04:45 AM

:g:

Raise the flop. You can't know for sure that MP1 and CO will call another bet from BB on the turn (or that BB will bet out again, for that matter). Get the money now, while everyone's already commited to the pot.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:53 AM

Raise this day and night; do not slowplay in large pots with multiple opponents. Period.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:00 AM

I'm raising this flop every time. Just say no to slowplay. Get that extra bet in now, they'll be calling.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is my first response so be gentle [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Grunch:

You are in perfect position to trap the field for two bets here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice first post...spot on!
Old 06-05-2006, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a flop raise does nothing for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except trap the whole field. This is a great opportunity to extract value.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:57 AM

This is a VERY common mis-application of the "waiting until the turn to raise" concept. A lot of players believe that since there is no way to protect their hand that they should wait for the turn. The fact is that with a set, you don't NEED to protect your hand on the flop. Your equity is high enough that you're making an IMMEDIATE profit on every bet that goes into the pot.

Re-read this section in SSH and you'll see that NOWHERE does it advocate waiting until the turn with a hand as strong as a set.