Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2006, 03:04 AM

Default Top set on the flop - How would you play this?

Villain is standard 30/20/2

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $2/$4
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, 2 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (8.5SB, 4 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#cc0000">UTG 3-bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (8.75BB, 3 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises all-in $5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (14BB, 2 players + 1 all-in - Main pot: 12.5BB, Sidepot 1: 1.5BB)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: 18BB
Old 06-05-2006, 03:08 AM

Default Re: Top set on the flop - How would you play this?

3bet the river for sure. that deuce doesn't improve anything that's beating you, theres no way he's raising 45 UTG.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:16 AM

to me his three bet on the flop screamed pocket aces.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:19 AM

or TT, JJ, QQ, KK. he's pretty damn agressive.

AA would have capped the turn too unless.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
or TT, JJ, QQ, KK. he's pretty damn agressive.

AA would have capped the turn too unless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I should have clarified. His 3-bet on the flop and the river raise combined screamed pocket aces. So, I make him for an overpair after the flop... what overpair is he going to river raise with, with the ace out on the turn?
Old 06-05-2006, 03:24 AM

I actually like the flop play here because it sets up a nice turn check-raise and it's no worry that you didn't raise because that might kill your action. However, I wouldn't argue with fastplaying the flop either. You might get raised on the turn in which case you can 3-bet.

The turn card is not a good one at all, but there is no reason to give him credit for AA yet after he just calls your raise.

The problem with the river 3-bet is that villain would not be bet/3-betting the flop here with AK (especially since there is no flush draw on the flop). When he bets the turn and calls your raise, only to raise you on the river, you might have to consider the strong possibility that you have been outdrawn, and it looks like you did. I think you may have played this perfectly. If he doesn't have QQ/KK and he doesn't have AK, the only hands that you logically beat now are 66, 33, and A9. If you were to 3-bet this river you would be committed to calling a cap, and that would be no fun. Well played.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:57 AM

I play it the same as you every stage of the hand. NH.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually like the flop play here because it sets up a nice turn check-raise and it's no worry that you didn't raise because that might kill your action. However, I wouldn't argue with fastplaying the flop either. You might get raised on the turn in which case you can 3-bet.

The turn card is not a good one at all, but there is no reason to give him credit for AA yet after he just calls your raise.

The problem with the river 3-bet is that villain would not be bet/3-betting the flop here with AK (especially since there is no flush draw on the flop). When he bets the turn and calls your raise, only to raise you on the river, you might have to consider the strong possibility that you have been outdrawn, and it looks like you did. I think you may have played this perfectly. If he doesn't have QQ/KK and he doesn't have AK, the only hands that you logically beat now are 66, 33, and A9. If you were to 3-bet this river you would be committed to calling a cap, and that would be no fun. Well played.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post is retarded [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Seriously though, Nice post, this is like my exact thought process every street.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:35 AM

Default Results

Villain had AA, and the guy who called all in on the turn had A6. I kicked the cat a little bit.