Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2006, 04:08 AM

Default Home Game etiquette question

Hi, this is my first post, so I apologize if this is not the right forum. So basically I played at a friends home game today. They play .25/.50 NL, $10 Buy-ins. It's a friendly game as usual.

However, I have played with these guys before losing about $20 bucks the last time I went. I play with another group more often for $5 buy-ins.

A major theme that has been occuring is that I am a bad poker player: literally and figuratively in the terms of "losing player" and "behaving improperly". I'm a Psychology major so I can understand why people may perceive that I am not a nice guy at times.

However, I don't really see the etiqquette part in this situation. So tonight I called a cashout 1 hour before the time arrived. (ie. it was 12 and i called 1AM). I asked everyone if this was OK, and everyone was fine with me leaving at that time. When the time finally arrived, I happen to be dealt pocket 10's UTG and I end up taking a +16 dollar pot. I had been up $60-90 the whole night and I had played for about 2.5 hours. I end up, up $68.

Later on that evening my friend told me, "it was bad etiqquete to cash out after winning such a big hand." He said even if I folded the next two hands, it would be the proper way.

Question: Is it wrong to leave a table after a big hand when the called cashout time arrives?
Old 01-16-2006, 04:16 AM

Default Re: Home Game etiquette question

You did nothing wrong. You called out a time and when the time came, you left. It would have been bad if you had not called out your quitting time, won the pot and left.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:30 AM

Pff, cash out and move on. I mean, if I understand your post well, you had a couple losing sessions previously and now you're a big winner and they wine..

just give a couple bucks to the one who gave you food/drinks (if any) and leave.

.fs.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:13 PM

True -- I hate whiners.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Later on that evening my friend told me, "it was bad etiqquete to cash out after winning such a big hand."

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation: I am a player who doesn't understand that it's one long session throughout your life and flaunt my ignorance by asking people to perpetuate my ignorance. Please take my money.

When in Rome do as the Romans do if it lets you take their money.

This sounds like a good game. If this is the protocol, just anounce your time to leave 2 hands before you need to go and win your last 3 hands! *grins* :-)
Old 01-16-2006, 05:25 PM

I think you can leave whenever you need to. You showed fine etiquette by letting everyone know in advance that you needed to leave ahead of time.

Are you allowed to leave if you've lost all the money in your pocket, even if it's not cashout time?

The only reason I can see that they might have had a valid complaint would be if your leaving either left the game too short to continue or if someone else got shut out of the game because they let you play.

It would be bad form to cash out early and fill up a doggy bag with their food.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:18 PM

You did ok, sounds like some sour grapes. Giving an hours notice is plenty and I wouldn't bother giving money for food and drink. If someone provides food and drink they shouldn't be looking for donations.
The only thing you could of done (but were not required to do) after wnning a big pot is stay a couple of hands more before noticing it was past 1AM. Point out its 10 after 1 and you have to go.
It would shut up the poor losers
Old 01-17-2006, 01:07 AM

Leaving after winning a large pot is bad etiquette. If you call 1 AM and you absolutely have to go then so be it. However, if you can avoid it you should at least play a couple more hands before you leave.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Leaving after winning a large pot is bad etiquette. If you call 1 AM and you absolutely have to go then so be it. However, if you can avoid it you should at least play a couple more hands before you leave.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the exact time you're leaving is understood i think it's totally unneccesary. it may be nice to play a couple more but it's not required by etiquette.
By this I mean that once your 1hr is arriving, you say "ok when it's joe's deal again I'm leaving". Then you avoid any real problems, and when your friend says it was bad form you can say that you really truly did call an exact time and anything could have happened.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:06 PM

The answer depends on the home game atmosphere. If it's modeled on a card room, then win one hand and leave if you want (though you might not be invited back! :P )

If the understanding is that you have to put in a certain amount of hours, then fine.

Your announcement was fine and should not be affected by whether you won or lost any amount right before you left.