Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2006, 07:54 PM

Default Live 20-40 hand

Live 20-40 Stud at the Taj.

ante is 3

I've been playing pretty tight and been getting good respect. This is good because I've had no playable hands so that respect helped my steals work out. Anyway, the table has been realitively tight, but that has changed the last few hands. This is the must move so we've got a couple new faces. As far as I've noticed no one seems to be completely terrible, however I've seen a few people fold in places where they shouldn't, given that you assume a previous call they made was justified. This might mean that a couple people are a bit too loose on 3rd, but don't go absolutely crazy.

Anyway, here is he hand.

I'm dealt (QT)Q. There is one dead Q. Nothing else of much interest.

BI makes if 5,
an A folds
a medium card completes (think 7 or 8)
a T calls
I raise with split Qs
the other Queen cold calls.
the BI cold calls
the 8 and the T call

So 5 see 4th for 40 each. This is by far the most action we've seen while I've been seated.

Here are the boards on 4th
TT
(QT)Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (me)
Qx (offsuit brick)
8x (offsuit brick)
3T (offsuit)

The pair of tens makes it 40.

Actions on me. I know TT boy doesn't have trips (all the Ts are dead).

Whats my move???
Old 06-04-2006, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Live 20-40 hand

Maybe I'm blind but I don't see any reason not to raise?

It's already a big pot so you want to maximize your chances of winning. If you get it HU, you'll have position. There's a good chance you can get dangerous hands to fold behind. Your hand is disguised.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Live 20-40 Stud at the Taj.

ante is 3

I've been playing pretty tight and been getting good respect. This is good because I've had no playable hands so that respect helped my steals work out. Anyway, the table has been realitively tight, but that has changed the last few hands. This is the must move so we've got a couple new faces. As far as I've noticed no one seems to be completely terrible, however I've seen a few people fold in places where they shouldn't, given that you assume a previous call they made was justified. This might mean that a couple people are a bit too loose on 3rd, but don't go absolutely crazy.

Anyway, here is he hand.

I'm dealt (QT)Q. There is one dead Q. Nothing else of much interest.

BI makes if 5,
an A folds
a medium card completes (think 7 or 8)
a T calls
I raise with split Qs
the other Queen cold calls.
the BI cold calls
the 8 and the T call

So 5 see 4th for 40 each. This is by far the most action we've seen while I've been seated.

Here are the boards on 4th
TT
(QT)Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (me)
Qx (offsuit brick)
8x (offsuit brick)
3T (offsuit)

The pair of tens makes it 40.

Actions on me. I know TT boy doesn't have trips (all the Ts are dead).

Whats my move???

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think you can get it heads up I think you should raise. Worst case you are against two lower pair, or maybe a pair+3flush. I wouldnt want others drawing here.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your hand is disguised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think that? As snug as he's been, I doubt they're putting him on a SCSFAP re-raise with big diamonds there. I think they have him squarely on a big pair.

For that reason, if the TT is aggressive, there's a chance he may smell your raise for exactly what it is and re-raise. I'd just call because the others don't know you have the T in the hole and may fold anyway. He has the lead and you can go from there.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:34 PM

Raise for the sole purpose that the pot is plenty big on 4th. Going heads up against a pair of tens, worse case tens up is good for you. There is $200 in pot going to 4th, Id like to have that kind of pot heads up. Not to mention, if someone had a 3 flusher and bricked 4th, but decided to peel 5th for pot odds, Im making them call off more money.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise for the sole purpose that the pot is plenty big on 4th. Going heads up against a pair of tens, worse case tens up is good for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get all that basic stuff but the fact that he paired his door card and only you know they're dead is a major plus. The others might fold anyway putting him on trips. I think a better case for raising is getting to check behind on 5th if you brick and he gives it to you.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:37 PM

Despite the diversity of answers you've received so far, I guess I agree with everyone else here...lol.

I think what you do next depends on what you want to try to achieve. If all you want to do is get this heads-up with the TT for as little money as possible, I suspect that there is a good chance that will happen just by calling, inasmuch as the 3 players behind you look like they will be behind just a pair of tens (let alone represented trip tens) and will likely fold. Furthermore, by just calling you don't open yourself up for the difficulty of dealing with a re-raise, as already mentioned.

On the other hand, if what you want to accomplish is to try to take this pot down right now given that it is already sizeable, then I think you ought to raise and hope for the best. And as has already been pointed out, this gets you the possibility of free cards on 5th and/or 6th.

Based on your description of the players and situation, I suspect that if I had actually been in your position I would have raised, thus almost certainly assuring the other three players folding and finding out what the TT really has. I'd be willing to bet that if he folds to your raise he was on a straight draw to start. If he just calls your raise, I'd put him on a strong 3-flush with the TT or a lower pocket pair with his tens. If he reraises, I'd have to put him on a pocket pair higher than my Qs.

I'm guessing he had Ts over at this point.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:51 PM

The best way to get this pot heads up is to raise. You will have postion for the rest of the hand unless your hand improves visibly, which is fine. He will likely be scared to 3-bet it- I find that only the very best players/readers will 3 bet 2 small pair or 1010 and 3 high diamonds here. Raise the cheap street, get it heads up and reevaluate later.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise the cheap street

[/ QUOTE ]

TT boy bet the full 40. So we are already paying full bets
Old 06-07-2006, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Live 20-40 hand (cont 5th)

I indeed raised 4th to 80 straight. It folded around to TT guy who called

On 5th here are the boards

ME (QT)Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
villian T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I....check/folded [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

<font color="white"> Actually I lead all the way to the river and took it down. </font>