Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2006, 05:50 AM

Default folding preflop after raising.

I open KJs UTG+1. folded to SB who is an 18/11 that 3 bets. A 30/14 BB caps. See a flop or fold (likely) getting 5-1. How strongly does the fact that our hand is suited sway your decision -- say, do you also call with KJo?

Edit -- getting 5-1 preflop (not 6-1)
Old 06-04-2006, 05:59 AM

Default Re: folding preflop after raising.

Call.

Suitedness is pretty much the crux of the decision here. If it's offsuit it's an easy easy fold.

Plus you have position the whole hand.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:59 AM

I probably call, but I don't hate a fold or anything. You'll flop a flush or a flush draw only about 1 out of 8.5 times, and you won't always make your flush draw when you catch it. But there are some other flops you'll like, such as QTx and JJ4.

You've got implied and reverse implied odds working against each other, though, since sometimes what you'll end up flopping is Q9x or K52.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:35 AM

I muck. Even though you are getting 5-1 to see the flop your reverse implied odds are pretty bad with this hand. If a king comes are you going to just call down? Are you going to see where you stand? If a Jack comes you could still be against QQ,KK,AA. Really the only good flop you could see here is two pair, a good quality OESD or a flush draw and these dont come often enough to overcome the amount of money we lose when we are dominated.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:12 AM

I think I call because it's sooted and I'm getting 5-1 with position.

Unless I get a good flop (KJx or an 8 out draw or something) I'm probably gone, but I might peel one to draw to two pair or better.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really the only good flop you could see here is two pair, a good quality OESD or a flush draw and these dont come often enough to overcome the amount of money we lose when we are dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

They DO come often enough. One problem is domination as you already have described it and also the fact that even if you flop a good draw you will probably have to pay multiple bets to see the turn.
However you will have position and this will help you to save more bets when dominated and put more bets in the pot when you make your hand. You also need to consider that you have huge implied odds with a flush or (most) straights against villains' range. Imagine for example the action on a AQTxx board.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:22 PM

I would call here. Position and suitedness make this decision for me. If I did not have both of these I would fold

True
Old 06-04-2006, 03:45 PM

i fold this hand. its not like we raised on the button and sb 3-bet and bb capped. we were 2 off the button and a very tight sb 3-bet us and a rather tight bb capped, probably with this same info.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i fold this hand. its not like we raised on the button and sb 3-bet and bb capped. we were 2 off the button and a very tight sb 3-bet us and a rather tight bb capped, probably with this same info.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a big problem. an 11 3bet our raise, indicating AQs+ and TT+ probably. Then an 18 cold capped after the SB three bet. I'm a 24/17, so when I cap here, I have AKs, AA-JJ. Looking at that range, KJs sucks. You just have to pay too much to draw already, and your implied odds are killed. I'd fold. If they were both in the 20+ PFR range, I'd call. here is an easy fold.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:36 PM

You are in such bad shape here it's not even funny. If a K hits the flop, how confident are you about that hand. What if a J flops, you not only have to worry about AJs, but QQ and above. 3bet and then capped by low vp$ip players, I'm out of here in a heartbeat.