Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2006, 03:29 PM

Default My opinion on good poker software and wondering what others think?

Hi All,
Over the past few weeks I have been reading more posts here and I definitely think it has been a leak in my poker attitude that I haven't done more browsing of this great forum before.

So I have decided to give a little something back and list out the software that I use or have used for my online play and say what I think about it.

Poker Tracker v2 and
Poker Tracker Omaha:- Simply great must have programs in my book, they take a little while to get used to but so does any complicated piece of software - only started using poker tracker in September 2005 and feel like a right donk that I didn't do earlier, there is plenty of info out there about these programs so I wont go into nitty gritty but for the few who don’t know about them they keep track of you and your opponents online play.

PokerAceHud :- A third party companion to poker tracker - It overlays the recorded stats of your opponents on the table, it works on both hold'em and Omaha the 2 formats that I currently play. Also pokeracehud will actually show you somebody’s cards after the river if there is a showdown even if they have chosen not to show This quite simply completes poker tracker for me and it has allowed me to multi-table far more effectively. A great application, the one drawback it doesn't work on cryptologic at this time of writing.

Game++ Similar to pokeracehud, except it is free whereas pokeracehud is $25(chump change if you are anyway serious about your poker). I used Game++ before pokeracehud. But pokeracehud has that bit much more going for it, the two major differences are that pokeracehud displays the hole cards when it gets to a showdown and it also covers Omaha, the one plus for game++ is that it works with cryptologic,

Poker Office 2 :- A live tracker vs. poker tracker which is a historical tracker. I find poker office is more useful for tournaments where the data on many sites is not saved to hard disk so it’s not available to view stats via pokeracehud/game++ on a live-basis, the useful thing about poker office is that it also displays your outs, pot odds etc. It’s a useful addition and I’m glad I got it but if I had to choose between it and pokertracker, pokertracker wins hands down for me maybe that’s just a familiarity thing but it appears easy to look back through how you have faired with pokertracker – also the addition of pokeracehud as a supplement to pokertracker without doubt makes this my preferred combination.

Paragons Poker Pal :- I first saw this program in my early days of online poker play – about 4-5 years AGO AKA ‘Dinosaur era of online poker’, but did not take much notice of it. Did not appear that advanced, but there has been major developments since the early part of this decade in online poker, no doubt other players who were playing then have changed adapted their game etc. just like me, also this software has improved a helluva lot. Still the only reason I got this was for my recent dalliance with Omaha, a game I have not been playing so long but sorry I didn’t do sooner. For a relative Omaha newbie like me i.e. 5000+ hands, it’s a big help for an app to spell out what your hand is, what your outs are etc etc. I find it invaluable for Omaha, for Hold Em it helps too but the odds are that bit more familiar for me to calculate and I think even if I had the same level of experience in both games, Omaha is one where even the expert is more prone to make misjudgements about the type of hand he/she has. So this is again a must have for me when I play Omaha.

FPHG – i.e. Free Party Hand Grabber – a neat little app provided free of charge by a regular contributor here jukofyork – have only had this a few days, but its great. You can datamine freely again on partypoker, I just hope party don’t put a stop to it.

The above are programs I use are have used frequently

Other programs that I have heard of or that I am familiar with include the following

Poker Academy Pro 2 :- Seems like a really good practice program for hold em but to be frank if I want practice I drop down a few levels of real play but that’s just me I don’t have the time to just play poker where there is no money involved.

Pokerbility :- I have this program advertised on my website :- which I best not mention here due to 2+2 advertising restrictions but to be frank it appears to be in the early stages of development and I would not personally use it. It gives recommendations on whether you should fold/call check raise etc. but to me it needs a lot of development to be relied on even by a beginner. But maybe give these guys time – it can only get better. Right now though I can’t say it’s good despite them advertising with me.

Pokerstove :- I have heard of it but have never gotten around having a look. Opinions welcome!

MTH (Multitablehelper) :- I have seen many posts on 2+2 about this, still unsure whether it’s worth me having a look at, I rarely play more than 4 tables at a time and I have 2 monitors so the urgent need for a multi table helper for me personally does not appear too pressing, but maybe I’m wrong, I know for sure before I got the other pieces of software that I use that I never imagined how much I would like them. So any opinions on this again are welcome.

And so there it is, these are the apps I use and am familiar with or have heard of – I felt I had to contribute a bit to this forum and I hope it helps those unfamiliar with good poker software, if anybody else has other software they think is good I’m sure there are many people who would be glad to hear or if you agree or disagree with my opinions please lets hear your opinion.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:57 AM

Default Re: My opinion on good poker software and wondering what others think?

[ QUOTE ]
PokerAceHud :- ... A great application, the one drawback it doesn't work on cryptologic at this time of writing.

[/ QUOTE ]

PokerAce Hud works fine with Crypto skins. Some people have problems with Classic, but that's due to the changes they decided to make (poorly implemented and buggy).
Old 06-04-2006, 05:44 AM

Doh! I actually meant Tribeca(Vc, Doyles Room, Paddy Power etc.). Yes you are absolutely correct it does work fine with Cryptologic. Soz about that
Old 06-04-2006, 10:03 AM

Thank you for taking the time to post this.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:29 PM

If I may point to my own software, I have a number of web-based poker applications and simulators up at www.propokertools.com/simulator/simulationEditor.jsp

A lot is still in development - I have many more applications planned. But I thought you should know about it since I didn't see it in your list.

Cheers,
bachfan