Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2006, 01:49 PM

Default I never thought it would happen at our game

I've read the posts by others about cheating and shinanigans at their games, but I never thought it would happen at mine. We have a very close, friendly core of 12 players. But every game has "fringe" invitees that come occassionally. We alternate sites for our home game between my house and another person's house.

Last night, a new guy who joined our group 2 weeks ago brought his girlfriend for the first time. We all like this guy well enough. He came late, and I had just busted out, so went to play at the cash table. He sat next to me and his girlfriend (who didn't play at all) sat behind/between us.

I was in the small blind and he was in the big blind. When the action was on me, I was a little careless in looking at my cards. I protected them from the players at the table, but not from his girlfiend. She saw my cards and leaned over and whispered to him what I had. He whispered back, repeating my hand, and she confirmed it.

[Funny aside--I had pocket fours. He raised it up 4x the bb, and UTG and I called. The flop came x4x. I checked, he bet out, UTG went all in, I went all in, don't ask me why but he called, and I won a $16 pot!]

Needless to say, I was not prepared for cheating, so I had no idea how to react. For the rest of the night I watched her, because I wanted to warn other players if she was looking at their cards. I didn't see it happen again, fortunately, because I wasn't sure how I would warn someone else.

This morning, putting my beautiful Egyptians in their case, I noticed I was short a few of all denominations. WFT? Seems like someone(s) took a souvenir.

Should I tell the others what I saw? How do I prevent this from happening again? I should say, most of these players are friends of the other host--I know them through him.

How do I protect my chips from theft?
Old 06-03-2006, 02:03 PM

Default Re: I never thought it would happen at our game

Hell yes you should tell everyone.

You protect your chips from theft by making them worth more in the game than they are to purchase. That's the only way.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Funny aside--I had pocket fours. He raised it up 4x the bb, and UTG and I called. The flop came x4x. I checked, he bet out, UTG went all in, I went all in, don't ask me why but he called, and I won a $16 pot!

[/ QUOTE ]

He still gave action when you flopped a set?!? not a very good cheater.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Funny aside--I had pocket fours. He raised it up 4x the bb, and UTG and I called. The flop came x4x. I checked, he bet out, UTG went all in, I went all in, don't ask me why but he called, and I won a $16 pot!

[/ QUOTE ]

He still gave action when you flopped a set?!? not a very good cheater.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes me think she gave him bad info.

fortune, you SURE about the info relay?
Old 06-03-2006, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You protect your chips from theft by making them worth more in the game than they are to purchase. That's the only way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meaning, not as tourney chips. Was it the low denom ones that were missing?
Old 06-03-2006, 03:28 PM

It seemed like a few of these denominations--$.25, $1, $5 were missing (we use these for the cash game).

The only reason I'm sure about what the girlfriend told him about my hand was because she whispered it to him, he repeated it, then she confirmed it. Something like "She's got a pair of 4s." "Fours?" "Two fours." Hell, I don't even know how they could think I couldn't hear them. Then when he bet out on that flop, I thought to myself, maybe he doesn't believe her. When he called my all in, I just shook my head.

Right before I showed my hand, he said "You got trips don't you?" He had top pair. When I showed he said, "I knew you had trip fours." To myself I was like, no f-in kidding. Why he called I have no idea.

It was a strange sequence of events.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems more likely to me she whispered something un poker related into his ear.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems more likely to me she whispered something un poker related into his ear.

[/ QUOTE ]

More likely to me that anyone who cheats at a small stakes home game wouldn't have a clue how to do with without being caught.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Right before I showed my hand, he said "You got trips don't you?" He had top pair. When I showed he said, "I knew you had trip fours." To myself I was like, no f-in kidding. Why he called I have no idea.

It was a strange sequence of events.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me cheaters like this every day of the week :P
Old 06-03-2006, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he called

[/ QUOTE ]
He must have felt guilty.