Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2006, 12:39 PM

Default JJ line recommendation please

Only been at the table for 3-4 orbits. MP has been active, stats of ~50/20 after ~20 hands, for what it's worth.

What would be your "default" lines against a relatively unknown for this?

Thanks for your comments.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($96)
MP ($343.12)
CO ($286.50)
Button ($318.35)
SB ($10.27)
BB ($100)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $7</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls $3.

Flop: ($15.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ??
Old 06-02-2006, 12:49 PM

Default Re: JJ line recommendation please

There are several viable lines you can take in this spot.

1) Lead. If Villain raises, you can make your own judgement about whether it's best to fold or call down with an unthreatening board. If Villain calls, then check/calling on later streets is probably appropriate.

2) Check/call. In your limited sample size of Villain, he seems at least reasonably likely to fire away. Checking gives him a chance to add value to your hand when betting might fold out a better hand.

3) Check/raise. I generally don't like to bloat a pot when I'm out of position, but this move has virtue in several ways. You're ahead here often, and raising could force Villain to put more money into the pot when he's behind. It will also fold out some worse hands, which isn't great for you, but you don't want to give him a chance to draw to a better hand for cheap. And it also sends a stiff message that he won't be running you over. If you get pushed, you'll have a clear indication you're beat. If you get called, you might be behind a bigger pair, but it could put the brakes on his betting and get you a cheaper showdown.

My default is to betbetbet, fwiw. I think it's more effective and deceptive if you're always betting, but that comes down to your comfort level.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:53 PM

You didn't mention how aggressive he was postflop.

Against a player who continues his aggression, I check-raise this flop, and not small. If he bets $5, I'm making it $30 to go. If he bets $10, I'm making it $40. If he bets $15, I'm making it $50. Good, solid check-raise. Assuming it gets to the turn, I'm probably 1/2-pot betting a safe turn card (non A/K/Q), but I'm probably folding to continued aggression -- this hand isn't worth my stack, and I'm not willing to risk it all here.

Against a player who is more passive, I'll lead for $10. If he raises me, I'm probably calling, then leading with a 1/2-pot bet against any non A/K/Q turn card, check-folding otherwise.

You notice that my lines involve a good deal of folding -- what can I say? Being OOP sucks.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:00 PM

epdaws,

Thanks for your response.

If you led in this situation and were raised on the flop, would you call? If so, and we go in to check/call mode, we'd be playing for stacks at this point.

If you lead and are called on the flop, are you okay with playing for your stack if you check/call on the turn and river?

Both of these are assuming relatively unthreatening turns and rivers, of course.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
epdaws,

Thanks for your response.

If you led in this situation and were raised on the flop, would you call? If so, and we go in to check/call mode, we'd be playing for stacks at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm raised on the flop, it depends how big the raise is. I'm probably folding, because a preflop re-raise is a big warning sign; with the average player at these stakes it's AK or QQ+, but with an action player the range is a bit wider. Still a red flag, and most flop raises are enough to get me out.

[ QUOTE ]
If you lead and are called on the flop, are you okay with playing for your stack if you check/call on the turn and river?

Both of these are assuming relatively unthreatening turns and rivers, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

It again comes down to feel, and how often you think he'd throw multiple barrels at you. But if he's calling a flop lead, I'm checking the turn just about every time. Most decent bets take me out on the turn, cause there's not much you're beating.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It again comes down to feel, and how often you think he'd throw multiple barrels at you. But if he's calling a flop lead, I'm checking the turn just about every time. Most decent bets take me out on the turn, cause there's not much you're beating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, this tends to be my default line in situations like this too, without more specific reads, of course. Just looking for a little confirmation for my thoughts. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:36 PM

Grunch:

I was caught in a similar situation yesterday. MP has been active, but has he reraised preflop yet in the 3-4 orbits you've played? If not then I call because of 12.5:3 pot odds. I'd donk into him for about half pot and see what he does. I'd call a miniraise but fold to a large raise (I'm playing it the same way when I flop my J). If he just calls, I'll check the turn and see what he does. If he bets big, he takes the pot (with a set, I'd c/r all-in).

If he is a habitual reraiser, I'm 3-betting to $30 (that amount b/c pot will be $60 and Hero's stack will be about $70) and pushing most flops.