Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2006, 01:24 AM

Default Yann Tiersen

Quite Zone, eh?

Less than a year ago I saw the movie Amelie and enjoyed the music so much that I got the soundtrack. For those of you who don't know, it is done entirely by Tiersen (although I'm not sure if any are original to the soundtrack). I have since acquired his entire collection and listen to it all frequently. I don't know how best to classify him since his songs can change style quite a bit, but that's not important. I'm looking for more music similar to this. Is anybody else a fan? Any recommendations for something I might like?
Old 06-02-2006, 01:51 AM

Default Re: Yann Tiersen

Mark,

Amazon always told me I'd like Yann Tiersen since I liked Wim Mertens and Philip Glass, but I never took their advice. After downloading one track, (A Quai, off l'absente), I can tell you that this sounds very much like Wim Mertens, a Belgian pianist-composer. Check out Skopos or Shot and Echo by Mertens - he does have a bizarre high-pitched singing voice that it took me a long time to get used to and even enjoy, but it's very much in this style instrumentally.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:32 AM

There are some very awesome tracks on the Amelie soundtrack. I even learned how to play one on the piano, it's called comptine d'une autre été - l'apres midi or something like that. I Like it very much.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are some very awesome tracks on the Amelie soundtrack. I even learned how to play one on the piano, it's called comptine d'une autre été - l'apres midi or something like that. I Like it very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should check out Comptine D'e´te´ N°3 which is track 5 on Rue Des Cascades. everytime i listen to it i wish i knew how to play the piano.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mark,

Amazon always told me I'd like Yann Tiersen since I liked Wim Mertens and Philip Glass, but I never took their advice. After downloading one track, (A Quai, off l'absente), I can tell you that this sounds very much like Wim Mertens, a Belgian pianist-composer. Check out Skopos or Shot and Echo by Mertens - he does have a bizarre high-pitched singing voice that it took me a long time to get used to and even enjoy, but it's very much in this style instrumentally.

[/ QUOTE ]

will get right on that. thanks.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:39 PM

I love the Amelie soundtrack...guess i'll check out other works by Tiersen, as well...
Old 06-05-2006, 02:08 PM

Let me know what you think about it - I'll be interested, since I don't think I've ever actively recommended Wim Mertens to anyone.

I'm really enjoying this Yann Tiersen I got - I kinda wish he'd write less soundtrack-y stuff (i.e. most of it is 2 minutes long or less), but it's really good nonetheless.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love the Amelie soundtrack...guess i'll check out other works by Tiersen, as well...

[/ QUOTE ]

well, as i said (or at least i think i said). quite a bit if not all the the tracks from the amelie soundtrack are actually from his albums. if you love the amelie soundtrack, you really gotta check the rest out. (fyi- he also did the soundtrack for "Goobye, Lenin!")