Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2006, 04:19 PM

Default I\'m still never sure what to do here

First hand back after the rebuy period ended.

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t75 (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG+2 (t4735)
MP1 (t6090)
MP2 (t5350)
Hero (t7940)
CO (t5800)
Button (t595)
SB (t7600)
BB (t9040)
UTG (t2500)
UTG+1 (t5995)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of t75.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t350</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t1075</font>, Hero calls t800.

Flop: (t2375) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t1100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero...</font>

I have roughly twice the size of the pot remaining in my stack. Do I make a standard raise here? Do I call?

If I call there is a number of cards I really don't want to see on the turn. If I make a min-raise, doesn't it smell of a monster pair?

Whats the BEST play here and why?

thanks,

-Scott
Old 06-01-2006, 04:23 PM

Default Re: I\'m still never sure what to do here

If you aren't sure what to do here, then your standard pre-flop raise ought to be a little larger.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you aren't sure what to do here, then your standard pre-flop raise ought to be a little larger.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

I'm not afraid of his hand, I want to extract the max. I don't want to raise him out. I want to make the play(s) that get the most chips in the middle here and on the turn.

So does smoothcalling get him to bet again on the turn where I can raise and he might be pot comitted? Or does a raise here get him to push with hands like 99, JJ, QQ?

-Scott
Old 06-01-2006, 04:43 PM

Based on the betting I'm thinking if you push you should get called. Hopefully you're not running into aces (he's playing like he has them) and he's overplaying 99,JJ,QQ. I just push and hope for the best.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:46 PM

I like a call here. Reevaluate on the turn, but probably be ready to call any further bets.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:49 PM

What's the buyin?

I would probably raise to 3000. If you miniraise it looks too much like a set or overpair.

You could also flat call and bet or raise the turn if a blink hits. If I spade or ace hits, probably flat call unless you are pretty sure you are beat. If a dangerous card hits and villain checks, probably bet.

As for the comment about the size of the preflop raise. Some people make small raises with big pairs. I used to do that sometimes, but stopped, since I don't want to give information.

The key thing is that OP flat called rather than making a third raise. That makes the hand harder to play. However, it may be OK right after the rebuy period ends when villain can be expected to be aggressive.

I would have put in a third raise. I probably would also put in a third raise with any hand QQ+ or AK. However, I don't think smooth calling is bad.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:58 PM

Yes, any raise on your part screams that you can beat this board, but I don't see any problem with doing that at this point. Your opponent represented a big hand with his re-raise PF, and a solid cbet on the flop. With that action, it's possible he's holding AA or a set of tens, but if that's the case he's going to have to show it to me. Plenty of players out there use this same line holding JJ or QQ as well, and perhaps even a weaker pair or just AK. I'd play this as if I had the best hand, and raise to maybe t3000 or so. If he has an Ace or a flush draw, make him pay the wrong price to draw to it.

As a side note, I'm in the camp to re-raise this PF as well.

--TFGoose
Old 06-01-2006, 05:00 PM

Any read from the rebuy period? Sometimes they get stuck in high gear for a few hands (or longer) so I push. It's an overbet, which will look like a flush draw to a smaller pair.

Also, is the BB 75 or is there a dead blind? Converter is telling it both ways
Old 06-01-2006, 05:03 PM

Push. Calling leaves you with just over one pot sized bet which will usually go in on the turn anyways. Pushing&gt;calling because:

i) Most people aren't firing another barrel here if you call without a hand that would call a push

ii) If a spade or T or A comes, you may end up not doubling up against QQ/JJ.

iii) The push looks like a flush draw and MAY even get an occasional call from AK. (This is also why I think pushing &gt; raising less than all-in)

iv) You don't give him a free shot at his 3-outer when he has Ax (this is irrelevant if he'll fire another barrel but almost everyone will give up bluffs/missed overcards after you call the flop)

Steve
Old 06-01-2006, 05:10 PM

As for the comment about the size of the preflop raise. Some people make small raises with big pairs. I used to do that sometimes, but stopped, since I don't want to give information.

sorry if I was unclear. I meant if *I* make a min-reraise on the flop.

The key thing is that OP flat called rather than making a third raise.

huh? what flatcall?
I'm the one who smoothcalled his raise.

I would have put in a third raise.

Really? IMO, that just screams monster pair and lets OP get away from many hands. What do you think is the value of the reraise here? I think I NEVER 3bet here with KK+

-Scott