Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2006, 11:16 PM

Default Drug Laws poll

I'm just curious as to what those reading this forum feel about laws governing drugs in the western world.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Drug Laws poll

amphetamines, opiates (heroin) and coke are all legal, so are designer drugs...you just have to be a rich person with doctor friends to obtain them for recreational purposes.

Isn't it wonderful how the pharmaceutial companies can charge out the wazoo for these drugs, but if someone on the street tries to sell them, they are arrested?
----------------
The drug war is a case where the US business and police interests override the will of the people through a very expensive propaganda campaign. Americans arresting americans for bagged plant material is retarded.
---------------
It is a crock that weed is schedule 1 and coke is schedule 2.

The Economist is behind a pay firewall online, but a recent article tore the US neanderthal government to sheds over this matter. Drug warriors will go down in the history books as some of the worst scum.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
amphetamines, opiates (heroin) and coke are all legal, so are designer drugs...you just have to be a rich person with doctor friends to obtain them for recreational purposes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

[ QUOTE ]
It is a crock that weed is schedule 1 and coke is schedule 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cocaine alkaloids are used for medicinal purposes, like topical anaesthetics, they need it to be just legal enough so that they can produce the derivatives. Opium is schedule II for the same reason: hospitals need to get morphine from somewhere.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:15 AM

OP, you'll find that this forum is prettly strongly in favor of legalization of many/most/all drugs.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:19 AM

Starbucks needs to be illegal- that [censored] is ruining my life. The rest of this stuff is fine by me.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP, you'll find that this forum is prettly strongly in favor of legalization of many/most/all drugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

How widespread do you think that opinion is in America for example?

-SmileyEH
Old 06-01-2006, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How widespread do you think that opinion is in America for example?

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]
Not all that close. But many of us are degenerate gamblers (semi-kidding) and aren't as "scrupulous" as the majority of America considers itself. I think a lot of it is brainwashing, in a way. The hypocrisy of it is exposed when you correctly label things "drugs" that many Americans take frequently, such as alcohol, tobacco/nicotine, hell even caffiene. There was a great show on the History Channel a day or two ago about how certain drugs became illegal and I believe coke started becoming illegal because of racism in the south.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:37 AM

All the drugs on there except marijuana are very dangerous and bad for you.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:40 AM

Fortunately, if we illegalize them, people won't do them anymore.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:39 AM

Default A Third Option?

Just a quick factual note (since I don't want to get involved in discussing opinions):

There does exist a third option not covered in this poll, and that is the option of "decriminalizing" the possession of drugs (or certain drugs) without fully legalizing possession. I believe a very small number of states may have enacted laws such as this with regard to marijuana. The way it could work is that you would get something like a parking ticket for possession of the contraband substance.

In other words, it doesn't necessarily have to be an either/or choice between criminal penalties or total legalization.

Something can be "illegal" without being categorized as criminal (and without carrying draconian penalties). When your car is illegally parked and you get a ticket, you have not committed a criminal offense (as opposed to extremely excessive speeding, which is considered a criminal offense and which directly endangers others as well).

I just wanted to point out that most of the discussions/debates of drug-law related issues, which I have read, usually seem to ignore the potential "middle-ground"-type solutions, and that decriminalization possibilities (as contrasted with full legalization) seem rarely to get mentioned. I suspect this is the case when politicians discuss the drug problem, too.