Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2006, 05:01 PM

Default Getting Too Crazy With The Other Big Stack

Pokerroom donkfest. Started with 229 down to 40 or so left, top 20 pay so we are still outside of the bubble.

I just moved to this table 12 hands ago and villain has played half of the hands since I got here with either a limp or a min raise. He has layed down a couple of times and called two all-ins with AJo and 66 and gone to showdown with 97s after a preflop limp and a 9 high flop. I have yet to play a hand at this table. Don't have the hand history so the unimportant stacks are estimated.

Blinds 150/300

UTG 2,500
UTG+1 1,600
Villain 11,520
MP 5,200
MP+1 4,000
CO+1 4,590
CO 3,200
Button 980
Hero 10,550
BB 1,585

2folds, Vilain calls 300, 2 folds, CO+1 calls 300, 2 folds,
Hero raises to 1300 with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], BB folds, Villain calls 1150, CO+1 folds

Flop (pot 3500): K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets 3000, Villain calls 3000

Turn (pot 9500): K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero bets 3000, Villain raises All-in, Hero?
Old 05-31-2006, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Getting Too Crazy With The Other Big Stack

I don't like to tango w/ other big stacks unless I've got the goods, you're probably up against a made flush, although you do have a redraw. This is a VERY tough spot. I would bith and yell and cuss and muck it. I think you're beat.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:13 PM
 is offline

turn: id check and see what villain does. as played, are u asking if u can call 3200 in a 15500 pot? yes
Old 05-31-2006, 05:16 PM

i doubt your up against a made flush seeing as there is the k and q of diamonds on the board and you have the Ace of diamonds. If pwi's math is right this is an easy call. My guess is 66 or kq
Old 05-31-2006, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like to tango w/ other big stacks unless I've got the goods, you're probably up against a made flush, although you do have a redraw. This is a VERY tough spot. I would bith and yell and cuss and muck it. I think you're beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

What hands does he call with preflop that he has a flush here?

FWIW, I had his range preflop at A10s+, AJ0+, KJ+, 55+. With a limited read.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
turn: id check and see what villain does. as played, are u asking if u can call 3200 in a 15500 pot? yes

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the math is pretty obvious.

However, I'd be leaving myself with 10x the BB and three shorter stacks to my left and a pretty passive table. Plus this is very early in 150/300 and I could easily be over 5000 by the 200/400 blind bump without ever going to showdown.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:26 PM

You've now got 4.5k and a what 20k pot? You're getting 4.5:1 pot odds? If you fold now you've got 15BB and you're short stacked, likely with the blinds rising again quickly. Not a place you want to be. If you call and win, you've got 25k when the next stack at your table has 5k. You'll have a commanding chip lead and be able to easily bully another 5-10k out of these guys by the time you get down to 30 players and you get some more players at the table.

You know you're up against a loose player who'll play any two preflop. He may be ahead of you right now. If he's ahead of you now, you've got plenty of outs. I totally wouldn't be suprised to see him flip over K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Or Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for that matter. Unless you have an insane read on the guy, you can't fold this at all... even if you know he's got a made flush, you can't fold this.

Remember, you're playing to win (or at least make the FT), not to make the bubble. Read some of the stickys in the FAQ for more info on why the big stack is so nice and being short stacked is so not nice.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:31 PM

Check or shove the turn, you're not leaving yourself enough behind to do much else with your huge bets. And folding the turn after betting 3k makes me want to throw up.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check or shove the turn, you're not leaving yourself enough behind to do much else with your huge bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did overbet it a bit didn't I. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] I was thinking that someone would pick up that that Preflop bet was 'effin huge. That was what I thought was the biggest problem with this hand.

I just couldn't think of a good number with the BB sitting there blinding off. I was kind of hoping he would push and then I could over push. Once I get to the flop I am just screwed and the hand plays itself out.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:55 PM
 is offline

theres nothing wrong w/ the pf raise. anywayyyy...results?