Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2006, 11:32 AM

Default How do I defend against LAG who keeps hitting the board?

Saturday night, Monte Carlo 2/4 (donkfest to follow).

I am trying to play TAG which would seem to be optimal for the single $2 blind. I am in seat 7 and in seat 5 there is a guy who totally tilted me with his play. I am playing legit hands in position only, and this guy is raising with trash, re-raising on the flop....and hitting with seems like better than %50 of his trash hands. I would hit TPTK, yet had no idea where I was in the hand with this guy. I he is a 2 + 2 'er, my hat is off to ya. I figured out that he was re-raising after the flop to get info about where he was at, but was so frustrated at the time....I could not put it together until after I left to go to another cardroom.

Any hints as to how to thwart this type of play in the future? Seems that I have the most trouble with these LAG types....help is appreciated!

Matt
Old 05-31-2006, 11:47 AM

Default Re: How do I defend against LAG who keeps hitting the board?

Wait until he stops hitting the board then take his money. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2006, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait until he stops hitting the board then take his money. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried waiting him out...calling more PF raising less PF and raising more post flop... Lag would call PF raise with 2-6os and me with KQs and Lag would hit a 6 on the flop, turn another...and bam... I also surmise that he knew he was getting under my skin so he seemed to want to play pots against me. I have played against some other LAG's before and not done as badly....but this guy just flat out had me pegged.... LSS...I changed tables and got most of my donkfest money back....but man I feel like an idiot.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:10 PM

Sounds like you have a hole in your game. His one pair beats your KQs. If you raise PF with KQs and you don't hit....GET OUT OF THE POT!!. Of course he's going to continue with any piece of the board. Sorry if that sounds a bit rash, but.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:18 PM

I should have stated that on that hand the flop came Q67 rainbow...so I had no real reason to think he was fishing for another 6....
Old 05-31-2006, 05:22 PM

Yeah, this stuff happens all the time -- you either wait for his luck to change, and win his chips or, if you find yourself tilting, get up from the table, get a bite to eat and come back when you calm down.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:38 PM

It's only 1 session. Yes, sometimes they do hit their hands and go on big runs. You should be happy this guy was at your table trying to give you his chips.

Learn how to look at your play street by street. If you played the streets well, and lost anyways, there's really not much you can do. Eventually, and not necessarily in that session, he will start missing his hands and paying you off. The longrun is much more than just 4-6 hours of sitting on a table. Wait 'til this happens to you for a week str8 with multiple idiots hitting everything.

b
Old 05-31-2006, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
calling more PF

[/ QUOTE ]

With what type of hands? Mind you, you need to take some factors into account regarding the other players at the table, their positions and how they're reacting when coming up with the range. Along with the fact there's only 1 person in between you(if I read that right)

You might have been getting involved with him when you shouldn't have.

b
Old 05-31-2006, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you have a hole in your game. His one pair beats your KQs. If you raise PF with KQs and you don't hit....GET OUT OF THE POT!!.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily true.

b
Old 05-31-2006, 06:07 PM

Thanks for all the input...

Matt