Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 12:11 PM

Default writing up a rental agreement for multi-family home I\'m about to buy

Does anyone have experience in this or own investment property that they rent out? Do you call a lawyer and just tell them to write one up or do you do it yourself?
Old 05-30-2006, 12:30 PM

Default Re: writing up a rental agreement for multi-family home I\'m about to b

You can have a real estate lawyer draft one up, but you dont really need to do this, they just generally use the standard RHA forms anyway. Look for your local RHA (Residential housing assocation)or real estate board they should have a standard RHA form that you can buy from them for a tiny fee that will cover the standards in your area. You can add an addendum to that with any additional provisions you'd like (any word doc, nothing fancy).
Old 05-30-2006, 02:32 PM

Default Re: writing up a rental agreement for multi-family home I\'m about to b

Every apartment I've rented in Massachusetts uses the standard MA RHA lease forms with a brief addendum. I'd imagine that SteveOMS' suggestion is right on and that there are similar forms in other states.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:41 PM

Default Re: writing up a rental agreement for multi-family home I\'m about to buy

Google search "standard lease agreememnt" + your state, should provide you with some examples.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:01 PM

Default Re: writing up a rental agreement for multi-family home I\'m about to buy

the standard one is fine. but you may need to have other forms as well depending on your area. like lead paint, meagans law, mold disclosure etc,,,. there is alot to know. you need to learn more about being a landlord if you dont give it to a property management firm as you can get bit on the butt real easy.
also spend an hour with a mgt. firm and ask what they do and how they handle problems. you may find out you dont want to fix a leaky faucet at midnight when you get called.