Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 12:06 PM

Default which is line standard?

In both hands, Button is loose, and has reasonable aggression preflop (~27% in this case), but serverely overplays marginal hands (middle pair, underpairs etc.) postflop against other aggressors, and sees showdown a bit too much.

The remaining two are garden variety Loose/Passives, but nothing outrageous

Which line do you take in the following situation?

[/ QUOTE ]
Line A
PokerRoom 0.50/1 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises...</font>

Line B
PokerRoom 0.50/1 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises...</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually I take line B if their is this many people to the flop/the pot is this big
Old 05-30-2006, 12:16 PM

Default Re: which is line standard?

I take Line A because there are 3 overs in the deck that could come, and I would rather protect my hand now and fire the turn. I don't think our hand is strong enough to wait until the turn to pull the trigger, but I rarely do this, and it might be a flaw in my game. I'm interested to see what everyone says.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:18 PM

I usually take Line A if I make it to the flop, but I typically fold preflop unless he's raising a huge range of hands.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:54 PM

Rev. specified a 27% PFR, which makes this a reasonable cool call. I take line A, just like everyone else.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:59 PM

I suck at editing, that was suppost to be a 17%, I don't change how I play the hand though with that information
Old 05-30-2006, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cool call

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that specifically a cold call from the SB? Cuz that's awesome.

Line A is my default postflop.

If his PFR is really 17%, I muck preflop. I usually muck anyway.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:22 PM

It is vital to protect your hand here if you get the opportunity. I like line A.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:22 PM

Yeah, I use cool call for calling a raise in the SB. I didn't invent it. My source is Entity, but he may have gotten it from elsewhere. Feel free to perpetuate it, since I like the term.

And I fold preflop to a 17%. If there was another limper, I might cool call.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:27 PM

OP,

The main problem with line B is there are too many cards you don't want to see multiway. In addition, he has to be retardedly aggressive to bet a hand you beat into 4 opponents on the turn. He'll check behind most UI overs.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP,

The main problem with line B is there are too many cards you don't want to see multiway. In addition, he has to be retardedly aggressive to bet a hand you beat into 4 opponents on the turn. He'll check behind most UI overs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I was thinking. This guy will always bet the flop with nothing, but he could easily check his nothing on the turn, plus if the hero is beat, he exposes himself to a lot more pain since he may not be able to safely fold to a turn 3bet from this guy. Another thing, given the pot size, a checkraise on the flop already forces everyone in the middle with 4/5 outers/overcards to fold correctly or call incorrectly, so there is no reason to wait til the turn.

Option B is just terrible in this situation for all those reasons.

The only option the hero has here is bet/3bet the flop or checkraise, and I still prefer checkraising here every time.