Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 12:06 PM

Default What is the current desktop of choice?

I'm about to buy a new desktop and monitor. I might eventually get a 2nd monitor. I'll be using it for poker and the occasional NSFW movie clip from OOT. No gaming or anything like that. What is the best bang for the buck out there right now? Any suggestions? I'd be willing to spend up to $1000, but I don't really want to pay for more than I really need so if there is a really good one for $600 that would be great.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:09 PM

Default Re: What is the current desktop of choice?

Probably Dell, but I am not a huge fan. I would always build my own over buying one. But if you cant definetlly get the support of the Dell. They have pretty good deals daily as well, I would also get the 2nd monitor with it to save on shipping costs.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably Dell, but I am not a huge fan. I would always build my own over buying one. But if you cant definetlly get the support of the Dell. They have pretty good deals daily as well, I would also get the 2nd monitor with it to save on shipping costs.

[/ QUOTE ]

To clarify, are you saying if I get a Dell to get the support package with it?

Yeah, I didn't think about that on the monitor. Maybe I'll go ahead and spring for it all now.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:28 PM

Build your own. You can get high quality components at decent prices through computer parts retailers where you live or on Ebay.

I got a Dell notebook and its good, but I can't change all the settings in the BIOS (locked) and the parts are not of the highest quality available.

I built a desktop PC in 2002, have since upgraded all components except the case and it is great. Much more flexibility.

Ryan
Old 05-30-2006, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Build your own. You can get high quality components at decent prices through computer parts retailers where you live or on Ebay.

I got a Dell notebook and its good, but I can't change all the settings in the BIOS (locked) and the parts are not of the highest quality available.

I built a desktop PC in 2002, have since upgraded all components except the case and it is great. Much more flexibility.

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

Despite my moniker, I have no idea how to build a computer.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Despite my moniker, I have no idea how to build a computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then maybe consider a custom build shop like monarchcomputer.com (there are others, but I've used monarch in the past and liked them)...the main problem with something like this is you can get hosed on price and/or they'll sell you more computer than you need, but if you do some comparison shopping you can frequently get a reasonable price (despite what some people think they will compete with dell, etc).

Also you could order a barebones system (case/ps/mobo/cpu/heatsink) from monarch (or whoever) and then put the other parts together on your own...plugging in a hard drive, video card, etc is VERY easy (basically if you can work a screwdriver you can do it and there are tons of instruction/walkthrough sites on the web if you want help) and this will save you some money on price because you can shop around for the best deals.

J
Old 05-30-2006, 03:19 PM

Dell. Make sure and check FatWallet.com and anywhere else you can think of for coupons and deals. Thouroughly check the Dell site for specials.
My previous two computers were loaded with stuff, but made by bargain brand makers. Although they were highly reviewed, they were nothing but pains in the butt.
Last August I bought a Dell 9100 with a 3.2 pentium for $725
and it's been happy data processing ever since.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:17 PM

I build all my own computers, and I can tell you most emphatically NOT to build your own if you have no experience, no matter how easy anyone tells you it is. It actually is easy, that is until you run into a motherboard/video card conflict or some other such nonsense. Plus you have to buy all the software seperately (Windows XP alone is $100-200). MUCH better to get a prebuilt system, then you have no hassles, and a single warranty covering the whole system rather than a hodgepodge of parts.

eMachines makes good systems these days, check out Circuit City's website for systems under $400 (excluding monitor) that will be more that adequate for poker and NSFW videos. Also Compaq/HPs are fine, Dells are fine, really any of the mainstream manufacturers these days are pretty much equal in quality and value.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus you have to buy all the software seperately (Windows XP alone is $100-200).

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLERSKATES!!!!!

<font color="white"> I keed, I keed [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] </font>