Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 02:48 AM

Default Greatest laydowns

I am not too fond of great calls as much as great laydowns. I read somewhere that Barry Greenstein folded KK on a KxxAA board for one more big bet on the river because he put his opponent on AK. Anyone else have some cool story?

PS. Please no Phil Helmuth laydowns. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Greatest laydowns

there's that doyle brunson story about the old days. LHE capped 3 ways on an A42 flop. Turn is a 2, and Doyle bets out with AA. Comes back to him 2 cold and he folds, giving credit for the quads.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:57 AM

I know Clarkmeister folded AA on an A,J,x,J board on the turn in a Mirage 6-12 game. It was heads-up.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:49 AM

That is a probably the worst laydown ever. I don't care if the guy showed pocket jj's. Or is this a joke?
Old 05-30-2006, 04:01 AM

Not that i think it was the greatest of all time but it was memorable. David Chui laying down pocket kk's preflop to Louis Asmo who had AA. Phil Hellmuth i think said it wa sthe greatest laydown he ever saw. But if you watched the hand it was very understandable why he folded. He knew Asmo woouldnt risk moving in with anyhitng less than AA as louis was 2nd in chips David chip leader and a few other smaller stacks. He knew louis wouldn't risk all those money spots after getting reraised by david without the nuts.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:49 AM

I read in Ace on the River that Greenstein was dealt QQ and made a 3*bb raise, and the person in the small blind made a re-raise. The flop comes AQ6 and both players check. On the turn, a deuce is down and his opponent makes a really small bet in relation to the size of the pot, and Greenstein calls. The river is a 5 for a final board of AQ652. His opponent makes a pot-sized bet, and Greenstein mucks his set of Queens, and his opponent turns over the set of Aces.

It's due to hands like this, and one's mentioned in other posts above, that I know I will never get beyond a certain level in poker.

PJS
Old 05-30-2006, 09:59 AM

not always, but usually when there is a great monster laydown, the other guy in the hand [censored] up bad and made it very obvious. either by physical tells or betting pattern(s).
Old 05-30-2006, 10:10 AM

Roberto Duran against Sugar Ray Leonard
Old 05-30-2006, 11:06 AM

Josh Arieh had a nice laydown at the final table (or maybe near the final table) of the 2004 WSOPME. I think he rivered a flush, and folded to a boat that got there. Probably not the greatest of all-time, but impressive nonetheless. I'm too lazy to look up the details.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:10 AM

Josh Arieh had a nice laydown at the final table (or maybe near the final table) of the 2004 WSOPME. I think he rivered a flush, and folded to a boat that got there. Probably not the greatest of all-time, but impressive nonetheless. I'm too lazy to look up the details.

it was lame murphy (first to act) went all in before it got to arieh. He's a [censored] idiot.