Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 01:53 AM

Default Art Deco wedding party. *Vintage Clothing* I need help!

Ugh. Real good friend (although I'm not sure how good after this stunt) is getting married in one month. Big wedding. I'm in the wedding party.

"Dress is "semi-formal, classic or vintage. Dressing in the style of the art deco era is optional. It's not necessarily a costume party, but some of what they have planned has a vintage feel. Join us in replicating the era's fashion if you are feeling inspired."

And then one really weak link to an art deco page.

I've spent hours on this. Can't really find what I need. If he would have given me more time (say 3 months) I think I could have found a cool pattern for the wife and had someone with clothes-making talent devise some sharp quasi-retro threads. My wife's outfit is definately a challenge, and I have no idea what I should be in either.

The internet is full of vintage clothing junk. We want something classy, hip and stylish. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:43 AM

Default Re: Art Deco wedding party. *Vintage Clothing* I need help!

[ QUOTE ]
Ugh. Real good friend (although I'm not sure how good after this stunt) is getting married in one month. Big wedding. I'm in the wedding party.

"Dress is "semi-formal, classic or vintage. Dressing in the style of the art deco era is optional. It's not necessarily a costume party, but some of what they have planned has a vintage feel. Join us in replicating the era's fashion if you are feeling inspired."

And then one really weak link to an art deco page.

I've spent hours on this. Can't really find what I need. If he would have given me more time (say 3 months) I think I could have found a cool pattern for the wife and had someone with clothes-making talent devise some sharp quasi-retro threads. My wife's outfit is definately a challenge, and I have no idea what I should be in either.

The internet is full of vintage clothing junk. We want something classy, hip and stylish. Any suggestions appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Essentially you are looking at clothing of the 30s. For men the quintessential style was the zoot suit. For women, well, I think of my mother in a sleek, mid-calf two-piece knit suit with a belt and a cloche hat (definitely a cloche).

try this URL: http://www.adsw.org/resource/websites/Fashion/

I didn't check all the links, but you should find some relevant images, as well as some sources for purchasing art deco clothing and accessories.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:40 AM

Real zoot suits are ridiculous looking and definitely not what you're looking for. Think Harrison Ford at the end of Raiders - double breasted suits and a nice hat.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:22 AM