Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2006, 02:10 PM

Default \'Roy Rounder\' -Who is he, and is his advice legit?

http://www.nolimitholdemsecrets.com/ is his website... I signed up for his free online flyer. Since its free I think I can quote, but I'm not 100%. Keep me updating if I can.

I'm just curious if he's legit... I have an online book that a friend let me borrow that he wrote... I don't want to start reading it and take some bad advice...

Anyone know anything about this guy? Roy Rounder is not his real name he hasn't revealed it I don't think.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:20 PM

Default Re: \'Roy Rounder\' -Who is he, and is his advice legit?

What is there not to trust about a guy with a name like Roy Rounder? He seems on the level to me, especially after he hasn't given his real name!
Old 05-29-2006, 02:26 PM

I found out that his real name seems to be 'Rory Monahan' :S yeah i'm probably better off not looking at this ebook.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:53 AM

The thing is, there is currently so much rock-solid advice out there that it seems ridiculous to take advice from any dubious source.

If you're looking at NL, there is Ed's new book, the three Harringtons, LGB, Kill Phil and good ol' TOP.

If you can honestly say you've digested all that these fine books have to offer, then sure, give Roy a try.

Otherwise, read Ed's new book. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2006, 09:05 AM

yeah, I've read/have all the above except for the two new books which are coming next week. Yeah, I probably won't bother to read Roy's
Old 05-30-2006, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, I've read/have all the above except for the two new books which are coming next week. Yeah, I probably won't bother to read Roy's

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Masakik.

I don't want to sound like I'm keeping on, (you have already said your going to give the book a miss), but phydaux has a point. There is so much good info. out there that it should keep you busy for a good while. There is a big difference between having read the books, and having DIGESTED them. I love poker, love reading about it, have all the books above, and can honestly say that I am still learning something from every read. I don't know if you have seen it, but deacsoft made a good post within the last week or two titled "slow down" and is well worth a read.

Good luck,

PJS [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2006, 09:44 AM

Thanks man! Yeah, I'll check it out. I'm going to re-read most of the books a few times so I can fully digest, and I've been reading the SS NLHE forum digests.

Thanks again.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Masakik.

I don't want to sound like I'm keeping on, (you have already said your going to give the book a miss), but phydaux has a point. There is so much good info. out there that it should keep you busy for a good while. There is a big difference between having read the books, and having DIGESTED them. I love poker, love reading about it, have all the books above, and can honestly say that I am still learning something from every read. I don't know if you have seen it, but deacsoft made a good post within the last week or two titled "slow down" and is well worth a read.

Good luck,

[/ QUOTE ]

Blah blah blah ... what is this with always accusing people of not having digested their poker books.

Here is a member with an open mind and instead of just stating your opinion and if Roy Rounder is not a good thing, then guide him to a good thing, there is some stuff out there, that is really really good other than the 2+2 canon.

And between us, allthough 2+2 has published some of the greatest books on poker, some of their material is outdated and I am also of the opinion that some if it might be misleading. (POP is in many ways a pretty rotten book that might be good for beginner but also hurt you badly if you play anything that is not fullring limit hold'em)

(note to reader, I own most of the 2+2 library and I cherish it highly, but this patronizing of posters and telling them that they need to read it again and again, because it is very very advanced material and there is is no way, that they understand it is out of line and happens often)
Old 05-30-2006, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Masakik.

Good luck,

[/ QUOTE ]

Blah blah blah ... what is this with always accusing people of not having digested their poker books.

Here is a member with an open mind and instead of just stating your opinion and if Roy Rounder is not a good thing, then guide him to a good thing, there is some stuff out there, that is really really good other than the 2+2 canon.

And between us, allthough 2+2 has published some of the greatest books on poker, some of their material is outdated and I am also of the opinion that some if it might be misleading. (POP is in many ways a pretty rotten book that might be good for beginner but also hurt you badly if you play anything that is not fullring limit hold'em)

(note to reader, I own most of the 2+2 library and I cherish it highly, but this patronizing of posters and telling them that they need to read it again and again, because it is very very advanced material and there is is no way, that they understand it is out of line and happens often)

[/ QUOTE ]

For a start, I never said DON'T read the book by this Roy Rounder character. I was just implying it seems a little strange how a guy is publishing it under a different name (does't exactly provide the most credibility to the work). Also, if the book was that good, how come it hasn't made more news throughout the poker world? You don't think this entire set-up looks a bit strange?

Secondly, at NO POINT did I say you haven't digested your books, therefore, go back and re-read them. All I was saying was it may be better to re-read books that are accurate insteasd of purchasing something that COULD be misleading. This way, he'll also get the most out of his current books.

Also, why do you think that I don't recommend other books other than 2+2? Highlight a part of my thread that says DON'T READ ANYTHING OTHER THAN 2+2.

With some of the current books offering such good advice, and some on the way by credible authors, don't you think it's worth being a bit more selective about the books to purchase, instead of a shot in the dark?
Old 05-30-2006, 03:46 PM

Yeah, I was just really wondering about if anyone actually read any of Roy Rounders material for a second opinion, so i don't waste my time or disgest something i shouldn't have.

PJS gave me some good advice, and raised some good points.