Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2006, 12:01 PM

Default Open push from BB

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB (t1390)
Hero (t1710)
UTG (t900)
UTG+1 (t3495)
MP1 (t1345)
MP2 (t1620)
CO (t5180)
Button (t4360)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t200, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t600) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero goes all-in [t1710]

Limpers have VPIP of roughly 33% and close to 0% PFR. Is pushing a prudent move?
Old 05-28-2006, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Open push from BB

How likely is it that MP1 continuation bets here? If he's likely to minbet any flop that's checked to him, I'd prefer check-raising all-in. This way, you can squeeze out a few extra chips when they don't have a hand that beats you.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:11 PM

I don't think it's all that likely that MP1 will bet without some sort of hand. In that case, should I check to see if it's checked through and push a bricked turn?

Also. I still have a lot of chips left. Is it really worth my tourney to push a hand like this? It seems like I'd mostly only be good calling by hands that beat me and mostly folding out hands that I'm ahead of. That seems like an arugment for c/f. Any thoughts?
Old 05-28-2006, 12:19 PM

This is no good. You only get called by higher Q's and the occasional Ax of [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] which you are a toss up aganist.

Check and see what the action is. If nothing else it pads the pot if you have the intention of going all-in (though I would not try and get all-in on this spot). If it checks through then lead out if the turn brings a blank.

Depending on the action I might call a small bet on the flop if I had a read but other-wise if either villain shows much strengh I let this go. If it is checked around then show strengh on a clear turn.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:20 PM

What are the stakes?

You have top pair with no kicker, but you don't want to let a flush draw take a free card. If you check you won't be able to call a bet. It's not a good situation, but seeing as they limped with under 7BB they are certainly donkies. Pushing is risky, but its your only alternative to check/fold.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pushing is risky, but its your only alternative to check/fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats not true.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:56 PM

How short would you have to be to consider open shoving? I don't like the play either. I just froze up and didn't know what to do.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How short would you have to be to consider open shoving? I don't like the play either. I just froze up and didn't know what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can open shove if the pot is a big % of your stack. I don't have an exact number, but if the pot is 50% or more of your stack I would think that open shoving is fine.

Hey btw I have good news, I am going to feature this hand in my next high stakes interview! Daliman will provide much better analysis than I can.

Here is a link to the orginal one.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post5892447