Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2006, 11:20 AM

Default Live 2/5 NL Hand---Lost on the River

Just sat down at a 9 person 2/5 NL table at Fox 2 or 3 orbits in, everyone is withing 300-900$ stack range. No reads really except that preflop requirements are rather loose but action before the flop isn't wild (i.e. raises between 3-6x BB) Alot of limping/folding to a raise is taking place.

2 limpers in front of me, i'm on the CO ($400) with AhJd...I raise to 20...BB(Villain, got me covered) calls, and two others call.

(~$80) Flop Ad Kh Jd

All checked to me, I bet $70, villain in BB calls, everyone else folds

I wasn't fearing AK or high set because the table wasn't playing that tricky and I think AK and High PP in the BB would have reraised pf...AQ, KQ, KT, KJ, QT, AT etc... with or w/o diamond draw, and mayyybe medium PP (TT, 99,88) were hands running through my mind.

($220) Turn 8c
Villain checks, I bet $80--Not the greatest bet, but without any reads, I am definitely thinking pot control and I do not want to play for stacks with this hand, Villain Calls

($380) River Kc (Ad Kh Jd 8c Kc)

Villain checks...what the hell do I do here...is betting or checking here best?

Comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Live 2/5 NL Hand---Lost on the River

Turn bet is very bad because of all the draws. Depending on how smart you think villain is, you should either bet enough to clearly commit yourself (putting the rest in on most rivers) or simply push all-in. You said yourself you're not worried about being beat, and with like 1.5 PSB left you're clearly committed. Giving cheap/free cards is pointless.

Preflop you should raise more. With a pair or suited ace/connectors that would be okay, but you are not looking to play a multiway pot with AJo. Raise to whatever it takes to either pick the pot up (ideal) or get it heads up in position (second best); I like pot size raise plus 5, so that would be 35 after two limpers.

As played, river is an insta-check. What worse hands call? What better hands fold?