Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2006, 11:41 PM

Default Return of the Big Green Limidonk!

Well, inspired by recently getting NLTP in my hot little hands and some frustrations pulling out of my downswing in limit, I've been playing some more NL. Here's a hand from today's session that in all probabilty I horribly misplayed.

Villain in this had was on the laggy side, about 45/16, but after only about 25 hands. I didn't have any notes on his postflop play.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($94.96)
Hero ($90.50)
CO ($180.05)
Button ($139.91)
SB ($39)
BB ($111.60)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $1, Hero calls $1, CO calls $1, Button calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Is this a reasonable limp after a UTG limper? Raise? Fold?

Flop: ($5.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $4</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $16</font>, Hero calls $8.

Turn: ($37.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $40</font>, Hero calls $73.50 (All-In)

I'm pretty sure I screwed all this up, but I'm not really sure where. I'll let you guys tear it apart.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Return of the Big Green Limidonk!

At 6 max I'm raising this PF every time I'm in the hand with the exception that UTG is some kind of incredible rock or I have a note that says UTG only plays AA-KK from UTG and limps them every time.

Due to the limp you now have 5 players on this flop. You have to figure that you need a big hand now, not just TPTK to win it.

On the flop I don't think your hand is strong enough to be raising that flop with 2 limpers left to act behind you, especially not a min-raise. I think a call here is better. You give yourself a chance to improve relatively cheaply on the turn by just calling. I don't want to be playing a large pot against 5 limpers with TPTK. When villain repops you on the flop I think you should be folding, your hand just isn't strong enough to be continuing without some good read on villain.

I'm not a big fan of the push on the turn. I think you have zero FE here given how strongly villain is playing this hand. And given the strength that villain has shown I think you are going to have to hit your [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] draw to win this one and you've only got 1 card to come.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:02 AM

Dont like the preflop 6 handed. Flop minraise was awful. You definitely have to raise there, but youre in a tough spot. Turn play is debateable. BB obviously has a hand and I dont think he is laying down. Not sure what Id do there, have to think about it.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:06 AM

Do you definitely have to raise the flop?
Old 05-28-2006, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:10 AM

I guess saying "you have to" was a bit strong. I want to raise here because chances are good my hand is best. I dont want to call here because I am stuck in the middle and Im giving sick odds to anyone drawing behind me. OP needs to try and take control of this hand since he didnt do it preflop and the best chance is right now. I hate calling along when I have people left to act.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even an itsy bitsy limidonk minraise??? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2006, 12:24 AM

Is the min raise all that bad in this tiny pot?
Old 05-28-2006, 12:26 AM

We dont take kindly to minraiser round these parts. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Seriously, it generally accomplishes very little. I find that a common tell on the not so good NL players is that they like to minraise top pair. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2006, 12:30 AM

OK, since you think I have to raise there, what do you think I should have raised to?