Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2006, 02:59 PM

Default Image psychological affect

I have always thought learning the psychology of poker is more difficult that learning the math. Here was a very interesting situation I wanted to share with you all.

I always want my opponents to play predictable and fear me. I want them to bet when they have it, check when they don’t, never bluff, but fold to my bluff.

I was involved in a hand yesterday vs 2 other players. I flopped top set and the original preflop raiser flopped an unlikely straight. I played my hand very aggressively and lost a huge $350 pot at limit poker. Ironically the other player flopped middle set and called all the way down.

After the hand was done the winner made a comment

“How could you not realize?”

I simply replied “no comment”.

Right after that the 2 players to my left took it upon themselves to start bluffing me. They were just poor players but not super calling stations. I caught their bluffs because their current plays didn’t make sense vs how they played previously. I thought it was strange that 2 players that had not bluffed at me once in 50 minutes of play suddenly decided to. I didn’t want players to my left bluffing at me and forcing difficult decisions on my play. I didn’t want to potentially lose a pot to a bluff.

So I decided to type the following:
“I lose one HUGE pot and you all start bluffing at me thinking I’m on tilt, lol.”

After that comment they never bluffed again.

I thought this situation was very interesting on how important your table image affects how others react to you. I guess to them it seemed I was steam raising and reraising when I was “obviously” beat and now I was on tilt. With one comment I diffused the situation, went on to get all the money I lost back, and got ahead at the table.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Image psychological affect

Why exactly would you not want your opponent(s) to bluff at you? This is where the psychology of the game comes into play, being able to recognize their bluffs. What happens when you're at a table full of unknows, be it online or B&M and they don't know your rock-like status, do you tell the whole table when you start that you're a rock? It seems to me that you're missing out on a lot of things, most noticeably pots and extra bets when either you opponent successfully bluffs you out of a pot (after all you believe that he would not bluff you), or when they would make a desperation bet/bluff on the river and you snap it off.
What do you think?
Old 05-27-2006, 10:26 PM

There is a point you are missing. If they are on my left I don't care if they bluff. But lets say they make me fold a hand or 2. Or I they start sucking out. Now my image is tainted and others start doing the same thing. Playing unpredictable. Which is exactly what I don't want.

When I make the most money is when my opponents are VERY predictable. They bet and raise when they have it, fold when they don't. I can bluff, they don't. I didn't want the two jackasses to my left getting frisky.

If the best opponent is a nice predictable passive fish why would I want to change it to a tricky aggresive opponent with position.

You can always adjust to a player, but if I have a choice I will take the opponent that is easier to play against.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:20 AM

using your tilty image can be an advantage [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2006, 01:25 PM

Why burden yourself with trickery on sheep when a simple cattle prod will work easily and just as effective without the complexity of management.

Think about it. Your Mr. Fish and this guy to your right had been getting lucky hand hand after hand. You feel helpless and your brain is stuck in helpless mode just calling down hoping to out luck him. WAIT I CAUGHT A SET!!! I raise on the turn!!! .............. Easy to play against a demoralized opponent.

Now change him into someone with confidence that beat you 1-2 times. Now you trick him and win a pot making an extra 1 SB. Does he go passive, no. Is he hopeless, no. He is mad because you fooled him and now plays different from sheep.

I know this, I experience this. I have seen fish alter their play and get tricky because they bad beat me in a couple pots. And they get frustrated and leave when you beat them back. I'd rather have them numb staying at my table donating as I say "nh" after "nice catch" after "man I got lucky this time" feeding that need for acceptance.