Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2006, 01:47 PM

Default Baseball prop bet

Just curious to see if anyone else has heard of this prop bet for baseball. My Algebra teacher taught us this 20+ years ago and I can't remember when it has ever failed me in the long run. Anyway, here's the bet.

I bet that the winning team will score as many or more runs in one inning than the losing team scores the whole game.

This bet comes in handy amongst friends and is defintely +EV. I used to go a couple of dollars a game over an entire series and when all is said and done you will have a tough time convincing someone to take this bet more than once. It's been years since I've made this particular bet with anyone though so I have yet to check out the boxscores to see if it still holds up with today's game.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Baseball prop bet

The only problem with this "sucker bet" is when it's offered to the sucker, he will think, "Wow, that just might be true."

A good sucker bet has the sucker thinking, "No way that could be right! I want to bet against it!" Like the birthday prop**.

** = Thirty people in a room. You ask the sucker what odds he'll give you that two people in the room have the same birthday. He'll think to himself, "Hmm, 365 possible birthdays, divided by 30 people, is about 12. So it's probably about 12 to 1. I'll make a lowball offer." He then offers you +300. You laugh and accept the bet, knowing that you're actually a -400 favorite.