Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2006, 01:34 PM

Default difference between processors? worth it?

is there much of a difference between these processors? as in enough for a 200-300 dollar difference? I will mostly be using the laptop for poker, applications and games such as half life or counterstrike source.

1. Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2500 (2GHz/667MHz FSB)

2. Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2400 (1.83GHz/667MHz FSB)
Old 05-26-2006, 08:22 PM

Default Re: difference between processors? worth it?

I've done a lot of research on this, especially just yesterday. Found that the performance difference is about 9%. Either processor even the T2300 will be fine for poker. For strong running games like Counter-Strike all mentioned processors will work fine. A bigger performance difference would be making sure to add the Go 7800 or 7900 GS graphics processor. Those two will make a bigger difference in your game performance.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:02 PM

yeah I was pretty much going to go with the 7900. Adding more memory, etc. Didnt know if it was worth the extra 200-300 for the step up from the 1.83 proc to the 2.0.

9 percent. not a whole hell of a lot in terms of difference.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:00 PM

Scratch the T2500 upgrade and buy two sticks of G.Skill DDR2 SO-DIMM memory at 667mhz on www.newegg.com for <$200. That will greatly increase all performance.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:05 PM

semi - hijack
what sort of processor / ram combo do you need to run 8 tables, music, and poker tracker smoothly?
Old 06-01-2006, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
semi - hijack
what sort of processor / ram combo do you need to run 8 tables, music, and poker tracker smoothly?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking to upgrade my computer too. 4 tables of PP and PaHUD runs like a Hog. I even have PT on another machine on the network. Any recommendations?
Old 06-02-2006, 07:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
semi - hijack

[/ QUOTE ]

Not much, really, but I'd like a:

Core Duo 1.87ghz
2 GB of fast memory
7200 RPM Hard Drive

Remember if you a buy a Dell to format it and install a fresh non-Dell-er-ized copy of the operating system.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
semi - hijack

[/ QUOTE ]

Not much, really, but I'd like a:

Core Duo 1.87ghz
2 GB of fast memory
7200 RPM Hard Drive

Remember if you a buy a Dell to format it and install a fresh non-Dell-er-ized copy of the operating system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the optional backup OS cd offered with a Dell laptop a non-Dell-er-ized copy of the OS or will I have to go another route to do this.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the optional backup OS cd offered with a Dell laptop a non-Dell-er-ized copy of the OS or will I have to go another route to do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure you need a standard copy of the OS, since Dell prepackages all their [censored] software together. I have multiple business licenses from Microsoft directly, so it's easy for me to say, but not so much for you. Your best bet is to find someone with a legitimate and regular copy of the same operating system as you, use his disk, and use your serial number. That's legal.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure you need a standard copy of the OS, since Dell prepackages all their [censored] software together. I have multiple business licenses from Microsoft directly, so it's easy for me to say, but not so much for you. Your best bet is to find someone with a legitimate and regular copy of the same operating system as you, use his disk, and use your serial number. That's legal.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. The reinstall disk they provide for an extra $7 or whatever is a 'normal' OEM disk. You can use this for a reinstall without worrying about their software. You'll ahve to get all the dell drivers and everything yourself.

2. The XP Serial number on the bottom of your computer will ONLY work with one of their OEM reinstall disks. This is not a retail or normal OEM key, so you cannot just get a disk from your friend or office or whatever and hope that your key works.

So either order a XP reinstall disk from Dell, or get another copy of XP from somewhere else with a normal license.