Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 03:15 PM

Default did i screw up?

ok here's the background... a good friend is getting married in august. i finally picked out a wedding gift and ordered it online (tiffany.com) on friday. on sunday i got the email confirming my order, with the order number and other details. a few minutes ago i got a phone call from a 973 area code. i answered it and it was a girl saying she was with tiffanys and they need the 3 digit number from the back of my card to complete my order. i'm pretty sure i typed that in when i placed the order. i was suspicious and asked her to tell me the order number, which she was able to do. she offered to give me their 800 number to call back and give the 3 digit information if i wanted to feel safe, but i said [censored] it and went ahead and gave her the number. now i'm wondering if i was too reckless with that information. my inclination is to think that if some l33t hax0r was able to get all the other information about my order, including the debit card number (which she didn't ask for and i didn't give over the phone), then i'm probably already screwed, so no real harm done. more likely is that she was who she claimed to be. thoughts?
Old 07-18-2005, 03:20 PM

Location: My Avatar is Cursed for my Teams. Please don\'t curse my burger.
Default Re: did i screw up?

yeah, you're paranoid.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:22 PM

ur options r 1) kill urself and then u won't have any money for them to take or 2) wear a tinfoil hat for the rest of ur life.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:23 PM

If the website you ordered from uses SSL, it's extremely unlikely that anybody intercepted your transaction. Besides, if it was an identity thief, using the 800 number that they gave you probably won't help. Look up the 800 number on their website, and call them. I think this was probably legitimate. If somebody already has your card number and expiration date, they don't need the CVV number that bad. A lot of web sites or phone ordering businesses still don't require it. Of course, it's possible that dishonest employees of tiffanys.com were pulling some kind of shenanigans, but that is a risk you take every time you use a credit card.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:24 PM

your fine man relax
Old 07-18-2005, 03:27 PM

If it wasn't so easy for fraud on credit cards to be removed by the cardholder, I'd be more careful. But you can just call the cc company and make sure there are no bogus charges on your account.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:30 PM

I think your safe, but just keep an eye out on your account just to be sure.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:35 PM

Just call Tiffany's customer service, not the number she gave you, and ask them if they had someone call you.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
including the debit card number

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like it's not a big deal. but you should NEVER use a debit card online. credit card only. that's the main reason i have one is for internet purchases.

edit: and im actually going to agree w/ jake and say call the number you have for customer service too to set your mind at ease. (agreeing w/ jake just seems kinda weird)

Old 07-18-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but in you should NEVER use a debit card online. credit card only. that's the main reason i have one is for internet purchases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. I have one credit card with a relatively low limit that I use solely for online transactions.
Closed Thread