Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2006, 09:00 AM

Default Reversi gene

I have been playing this maddening game for several months with out seeing any real improvement. Such a simple game to play but not to do well in. I have had small children from gifted families beat me at Othello but I never felt that your game could not be improved on. No one studys Reversi yet some love it and some hate it with every part of thier being. It seems to me that you learn the basics like try not to let someone have the corner, etc but once learned you do not progress. Free Cell is a game that you can improve at by just playing but with Reversi you it seems like who you are playing and if they have a better Reversi gene than you do is what determines the winner.

I have also noted that because there are so many quiters that quit for different reasons that this might have something to do with it.

What say you?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:03 AM

Default Re: Reversi gene

are you joking? go google and find some strategy on it, there is very advanced tactical play that can be learnt.

a player with some knowledge will beat a player that knows 'to get the corners' 100% of the time.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:05 AM

?@gene

if u only learn the basics of any game and then don't try to figure out or study advanced strategies, then you aren't gonna progress

those that are better play better strategy than you, just like in chess or any other strategic game
Old 05-25-2006, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
are you joking? go google and find some strategy on it, there is very advanced tactical play that can be learnt.

a player with some knowledge will beat a player that knows 'to get the corners' 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

No this is not a joking question. Like most things some people have a knack for some types of thought processes and others have zero talent. I have been to several of those reversi sites and the info is there but my brain just doesn't want to think that way. I try to adjust my game and for some reason my brain doesn't want to learn the new way.

Just wanted to see if my problems with this game were common. I am not looking to become the new reversi champion or the GO champion of this universe. Thanks for your comments.