Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2006, 07:18 PM

Default Venetian Lied... I will never play there again

I hate to have the Venetian be the new-whiping boy of vegas (the room is beautiful and the dealers are more than adequete)...

However... the floor staff is atrocious.

My biggest pet peeve in all of B & M poker is being lied to.

I flew up to Vegas three weekends ago to stay at my condo with some friends. Having heard the Venetian was awesome I called down there.

BTW- I make it a habbit of NOT checking out new rooms when I'm only in town for an evening or two. The Bellagio, Wynn, and Mirage are just to much of a "sure thing".

I call down and specifically ask what LIMIT games are going. I'm told there are two games going in the mid range 15-30 and/or 20-40 range (I can't remember exactly)... and that they have had no problem getting a 40/80 game going in the evenings on Friday and Saturday.

Upon my arrival, the biggest limit game in the room is a 5-10 O'maha (no kill to add insult to injury)or 4-8 holdem.

Now, I realize NL "zaps" alot of the big action; so I ask two dealers if I "missed" the bigger games... they both chuckled and said no such game has been going in at least a week or two.

Upon realizing I was lied to... they can take their gimmics and their free-roll tournament and stuff it up their collection slots. Myself and my 3 friends that were with me will not be playing at the Venetian.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Venetian Lied... I will never play there again

Hi BB,

FWIW.....

There has been at least one $40-80 going every night I have played the room. I'm not sure why the dealers told you there was not. Friday night, Some of friends were in a very good $20-40. (I have not played there since Friday night but there HAVE BEEN 40-80 games going and sometimes more then one. They just recently started getting some 20-40 action and I've played both 10-20 (before the $3 chips came in) and 9-18. So they DO get those games spread).

I'm on my way there right now.

All the best,

Howard
Old 05-23-2006, 09:00 PM

Yeah, that's weird. I called them a couple nights ago, asking if the 40 has been going and they told me it's been going quite regularly. (and was going at the time.)

-Craig
Old 05-23-2006, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There has been at least one $40-80 going every night I have played the room. I'm not sure why the dealers told you there was not. Friday night, Some of friends were in a very good $20-40. (I have not played there since Friday night but there HAVE BEEN 40-80 games going and sometimes more then one. They just recently started getting some 20-40 action and I've played both 10-20 (before the $3 chips came in) and 9-18. So they DO get those games spread).

[/ QUOTE ]

Howard, he said a few weeks ago though. From what you guys are saying that the 40 has been running the past week or so only. This still gives them ZERO excuse to say that the games are running at that time when they clearly weren't.

from the op:
[ QUOTE ]
I flew up to Vegas three weekends ago to stay at my condo with some friends. Having heard the Venetian was awesome I called down there.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-24-2006, 01:07 AM

Hmm.. I was there two weeks ago (a Saturday night), and they did the same thing to me. I called from the Bellagio and they said they had a 40-80 going with a list for $100-200 or $80-160. 15 minutes later I get to the Venetian and they had a LIST for 40-80 and NOTHING for anything higher. I asked the floor what the heck happened and he just said he's not sure.

I was pretty unimpressed with the Vegas poker rooms as a whole. I thought the high limit floor guy at Bellagio was a jerk. But then, they usually are until they either know you, or at least realize you're serious about playing.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:59 PM

the 20 and the 40 are both going regularly now, but this has been a recent phenomenon. There's no excuse for being lied to.

That said, I've been playing there all week (grinding out my 50 hours to qualify for the big freeroll) and I've been very happy with the place. So for the OP, I can understand not wanting to go back to the Venetian, but you might be shortchanging yourself a good (and profitable) time; don't let one bad floorman ruin the place for ya.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the 20 and the 40 are both going regularly now, but this has been a recent phenomenon. There's no excuse for being lied to.

That said, I've been playing there all week (grinding out my 50 hours to qualify for the big freeroll) and I've been very happy with the place. So for the OP, I can understand not wanting to go back to the Venetian, but you might be shortchanging yourself a good (and profitable) time; don't let one bad floorman ruin the place for ya.

[/ QUOTE ]

jesse...are you a NL player?
Old 05-24-2006, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That said, I've been playing there all week (grinding out my 50 hours to qualify for the big freeroll) and I've been very happy with the place.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts on this freeroll... the more gimmics a place needs to draw attention to their room... the worse off the place actually is...
Old 05-24-2006, 04:38 PM

or....the more popular/crowded a place is the less incentive they have to actually give anything back to their players (re: Bellagio).

If I were in LV I would SOOOO be taking advantage of this freeroll promotion (or at least, would start-off with a few hours to see how it goes).

The problem is that they might not get enough people to qualify and they have their own disclaimer in there about that.
But, in the very least, it's drawing additional attention to themselves. Just witness the amount of discussion being devoted to them in this forum.
I imagine there's some occasional table-chat about it around LV...even in other rooms.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If I were in LV I would SOOOO be taking advantage of this freeroll promotion (or at least, would start-off with a few hours to see how it goes).

The problem is that they might not get enough people to qualify and they have their own disclaimer in there about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that this could back-fire in a huge way. if they don't get enough people to "qualify"... and they have to cancel it. The 50 hour players are going to crap a brick.