Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2006, 02:35 AM

Default TT on the button, check-raised on the flop.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP2 is 29/7/2.4. While he is a bit loose and aggressive his pfr is 7% over 120 hands.
BB is 22/4/0.58. One of the resident fish in the game.

Is there any other way to play this postflop?

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7.70 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (10.70 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 10.70 BB
Old 05-23-2006, 03:15 AM

Default Re: TT on the button, check-raised on the flop.

I'd raise the turn.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:27 AM

i like a free SD raise. MP2 may have been raising FD+overs on the flop. if you're going to get to showdown, may as well raise the turn to charge the draws, knock out the BB, and check behind on the river.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:34 AM

Why is raising the turn better than the flop here?
Old 05-23-2006, 06:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait for the turn to raise and protect your hand because the other drawing hands will have pot odds to call one more flop bet. When that brick lands on the Turn, figuring your TT is ahead, you can then raise to protect the equity your hand has, and force that potential Big blind draw and MP2 to pay for their hands.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait for the turn to raise and protect your hand because the other drawing hands will have pot odds to call one more flop bet. When that brick lands on the Turn, figuring your TT is ahead, you can then raise to protect the equity your hand has, and force that potential Big blind draw and MP2 to pay for their hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you checkfolding all overs as well as all spades on the turn?
Old 05-23-2006, 09:05 AM

you could valuebet the river. is BB the type of loose passive to call down with A7 or 66 here, or is he calling down b/c he has a Jack? if he won't call down with less than top pair i like the river check. i don't hate the free showdown raise on this turn, either. in fact i would probably raise for the free sd in this spot pretty often.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:33 AM
 is offline

Defenitely raise the turn for a free showdown. In case you have the best hand (which you might very well have against this villain) you have to protect your hand. And by doing that there is also the possibility that BB mucks a weak jack like JT when he's facing two cold on the turn. But thats just a bonus, if you plan on calling a river bet you should instead invest that extra bet on the turn for protection. If this was heads up, it would not be as clear but still much better than just calling down.

Since you didn't, you should bet the river for value. It's very obvious you have MP2 beat because he would never check the river with a worse hand. You may be beat by BB though, but it is much more likely that he has a lower pair than a Jack. Even passive players would sometimes raise a Jack on the flop that was strong enough to call two bets preflop with.

Sometimes you will get paid off by two worse hands here and only the miniorty of times you will get beat here so you'r missing out a lot of value checking behind.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Defenitely raise the turn for a free showdown. In case you have the best hand (which you might very well have against this villain) you have to protect your hand. And by doing that there is also the possibility that BB mucks a weak jack like JT when he's facing two cold on the turn. But thats just a bonus, if you plan on calling a river bet you should instead invest that extra bet on the turn for protection. If this was heads up, it would not be as clear but still much better than just calling down .

[/ QUOTE ]
I like everything except the bolded part. Raising the turn HU for a free sd won't get him to fold a better hand or fold a hand with many outs. Besides a laggy player will probably fire again on the river with a missed draw or worse pair if we just call the turn. Add a little risk of villain going beserk with a worse hand (pair+fd or something like that) or donking the river. Against this villain I see no reason to raise for a free sd.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:08 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Defenitely raise the turn for a free showdown. In case you have the best hand (which you might very well have against this villain) you have to protect your hand. And by doing that there is also the possibility that BB mucks a weak jack like JT when he's facing two cold on the turn. But thats just a bonus, if you plan on calling a river bet you should instead invest that extra bet on the turn for protection. If this was heads up, it would not be as clear but still much better than just calling down .

[/ QUOTE ]
I like everything except the bolded part. Raising the turn HU for a free sd won't get him to fold a better hand or fold a hand with many outs. Besides a laggy player will probably fire again on the river with a missed draw or worse pair if we just call the turn. Add a little risk of villain going beserk with a worse hand (pair+fd or something like that) or donking the river. Against this villain I see no reason to raise for a free sd.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I think a little more about a HU situation, I have to take a step back and agree with you here Nick. Calling down would be better and mainly because he will pay two bets with a worse pair that he probably would fold to a raise.