Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2006, 12:47 AM

Default Debit/ credit card question

Guys I am new to buying stuff over the internet. There is something I want to purchase. I was told by their support that they only accept credit cards, they will not accept my visa debit card that comes directly from my checking account.

What I am asking is is this normal operating procedure on the internet? Should I look for a company that takes both debit and credit cards or should I accept that I need a credit card to buy the item? The item will come from overseas if that makes any difference I dont know.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Debit/ credit card question

better credit card anyway...if it goes bad, you can always dispute charges.

different with debit
Old 05-23-2006, 12:49 AM

A debit card should function exactly like a credit card... I've heard of a few instances of where places were "credit" only but there really is no reason they shouldn't accept both.

However it is better to use a credit card anyway. Credit cards have much better fraud/buyer protection than debit cards, plus you can earn bonus points, etc. (this of course assumes you'll pay off the entire balance each month)
Old 05-23-2006, 12:53 AM

Eh, that's BS. Debit over the Interweb (called 'signature debit' or 'offline debit', same as when you run a debit as 'credit' IRL) is run through the same authorization network as a credit visa. PIN debit (when you use your PIN, called 'online debit') runs through EFT/ATM networks.

Unless I'm mistaken, on the Internet (without access to the full amount of data in the magnetic stripe), there is no way for the merchant to tell if the card is credit or debit. Also, Visa will for the most part cover any fraud (credit or debit) if the authorization occurs via Visa net (not the ATM/EFT networks).
Old 05-23-2006, 12:54 AM

Credit cards are the way to go. This won't be the first site to only take them. Get one, and it will help your credit rating assuming you pay it off, or at least make your payments on time.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:57 AM

Ok so you think support was mistaken and if I enter all the information it will accept the payment and order?
Old 05-23-2006, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok so you think support was mistaken and if I enter all the information it will accept the payment and order?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes.

they were prob thinking that by debit card you meant ATM card and not a check card. as long as it has a visa or mastercard logo you are fine.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:06 AM

Their support is mistaken, as long as your debit card has the visa logo on it it's 100% functionally equivalent to a credit card (if you tell them the number over the phone or type it in over the web there is no way they can even tell the difference).

As far as fraud protection, you're still backed by visa on this front, no different. ATM transactions (for example as a grocery store where you hit the debit/atm button and are asked for your pin) are different however - you woul dhave to deal with your bank if you have problems with these (and many places don't accept this type of transaction).

The only reason I would ever even consider getting a credit card is to build credit rating. Other than that it makes no sense to me. I'm not about to spend money I don't have.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:16 AM

Bunch of smart guys here = my question always answered. Thx to all.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Their support is mistaken, as long as your debit card has the visa logo on it it's 100% functionally equivalent to a credit card (if you tell them the number over the phone or type it in over the web there is no way they can even tell the difference).

As far as fraud protection, you're still backed by visa on this front, no different. ATM transactions (for example as a grocery store where you hit the debit/atm button and are asked for your pin) are different however - you woul dhave to deal with your bank if you have problems with these (and many places don't accept this type of transaction).

[/ QUOTE ]

Tagtastic is correct on both fronts here.

There is one slight but important difference on the logistics of fraud protection availiable when using your debit card - if your debit card is stolen and you get hit with fraudulent charges, it obviously saps your actual available cash instead of just sapping available credit. As these disputes can take 30-60 days to resolve themselves (but often a lot less, its not always 30-60), you can find yourself unable to pay bills / etc due to the fraudulent charges. Speaking as such, there is a little more security in paying with a credit card rather than a debit card, since sapping your credit line shouldn't affect your ability to pay bills /etc.