Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2006, 12:19 AM

Default Preflop Practice Spreadsheet

Crossposted in Micro Limits

I've been reading on here for forever and decided to finally make a first post. I recently quit my job to play fulltime and probably wouldn't have done so had I not discovered 2p2.

So, in an effort to give something back, I wanted to make available a spreadsheet I made. When I first read SSH, I was having trouble memorizing all of the preflop hands and positions. I'm fairly proficient with Excel, so I sat down to build what amounted to electronic flashcards.

A couple hours later, it had evolved into this - a Preflop Practice Spreadsheet.

The spreadsheet will give you the hand, position, and whether you're facing a raise (and in LP whether other people have CC'd). It will also record the ones you miss, so you can review them later. I took out most of the obvious folds. (When I built the spreadsheet, I classified calling from the BB as "limping" rather than make another button.)

You'll need to have macros enabled to use it. To do this, go to Tools -- Options -- Security -- Macro Security. Set to Medium. You have to close and reopen Excel for the change to take effect. Then click enable macros on the prompt when you reopen it.

It is built on the tight rules in miller's book. The loose games specified may exist in a 1/2 live game, but they don't exist online (not even at 0.5/1.0).

I added a counter and would practice until I got 100 in a row, then 200, then 300. After practicing on this for a week, I was surprised at how quickly I was able to get everything down pat. I had planned to use it until I got 1,000 in a row, but I misclicked at 650 and said screw it.

So, if you're limping with QTo in MP, coldcalling with KJo, or just starting out, I think you'll find this spreadsheet will help.

I don't have anyway of hosting this. So, if anyone is able, please let me know and we'll get this available to download.

-Trebek
Old 05-23-2006, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Preflop Practice Spreadsheet

You quit your job? And you play small stakes? wow.

I didn't understand the preflop thing. Not good with Computer stuff. But thanks for putting in anyways!
Old 05-23-2006, 03:15 AM

Hi Trebek

Nice work. I am quite interested & also have a server to host it on if you wish. PM me or e-mail me on shane@pokerplayer.nl
Old 05-23-2006, 03:16 AM

This looks good, I can't wait to be able to download it.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:25 AM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

the recommendations in the "you should" field are hideous.

rj
Old 05-23-2006, 05:40 AM

I guess you should take that up with Mr. Miller. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2006, 11:12 AM

Dude, RJ... where did you get that fantastic little clip you have as your avitar? I totally can't read with that in my peripheral vision! LOL. Very Nice!
Old 05-23-2006, 02:53 PM

I have a feeling RJ misread how the spreadsheet works. That's not a "you should" field, it's a "conditions" field so on the screen shot the spreadsheet is asking what you would do if it's raised and got two callers ahead of you, then you hit the button for your response. It's not saying "you should" reraise in late with A6s after a raise and two callers.

I got to use this spreadsheet when I was starting out and it was very helpful in memorizing starting hands Miller style.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:16 PM

I hate spreadsheets. everything is situational. take AQo for example. I'll reraise against a loose raiser and fold against a tight reraiser.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:40 PM

This looks great