Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2006, 10:28 PM

Default To gamble or not to gamble late: That is my question

(First time post, so my apologies if not in proper MTT style or anything)
I won a tournament yesterday, and I think it was directly because of a donk play, so now I'm wondering if it was actually the right play or not.
The play was not long before the bubble (maybe 60 left, bubble is 54) and I'm an average stack. I get a chance in that case to CALL for all my chips with QJs, getting 2:1 pot odds. I put the opponent on AK-AJ, JJ-77. So 2:1 was just about right, I felt. Normally, however, I would not call in this situation.
However, I was very hungry at this point, so decided to gamble. Basically, I literally listened to my gut, and said if I lost I could go grab dinner, and if I won I could advance deep. Well, the flop came QJx and it held versus his AK, and I went on to win.
So now I'm wondering if this was the correct play or not. I know most would say it is okay to raise with QJs on the bubble, but not call all-in with an average stack, but I'm now wondering if this is true. Many of us adopt a double-early-or-go-home mindset to online tourneys, does this mindset also work on the bubble at times?
Anyway, sorry if my question is vague. Basically, if given acceptable, but not spectacular, pot odds, is it a good idea to have a double-or-go-home mindset near the bubble (given you don't care about the bubble money, of course)?
Old 05-22-2006, 10:33 PM

Default Re: To gamble or not to gamble late: That is my question

All the hands you put your opponent on were ahead so technically this was a bad call. Some will probably disagree but even if you wanted to accumulate a hugh chip stack going into the money to try and take down a win, I still think this call was bad pre flop.

Don't get me wrong, you should loosen up at the bubble to pick up some extra ammo but I wouldn't recommend doing it this way. Your chip stack was average so you had no reason to gamble like this.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:35 PM

Why such a weird range for the villain? You had a tell that told you he didn;t have QQ-AA - or was just HOPING he didn't have them? Against a range you specified you're 38% to win so 2:1 pot odds is good enough.

Edit : welcome to the forum!
Old 05-22-2006, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All the hands you put your opponent on were ahead so technically this was a bad call. Some will probably disagree but even if you wanted to accumulate a hugh chip stack going into the money to try and take down a win, I still think this call was bad pre flop.

Don't get me wrong, you should loosen up at the bubble to pick up some extra ammo but I wouldn't recommend doing it this way. Your chip stack was average so you had no reason to gamble like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot about the implied pot odds of dinner... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

anyway :

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 35.3821 % 34.97% 00.41% { QJs }
Hand 2: 64.6179 % 64.21% 00.41% { 77+, AJs+, AJo+ }
Old 05-22-2006, 10:44 PM

Geez, how could I forget the implied pot odds of dinner, LOL. In that case, good call.

However, despite his tempting odds, I'd still wait to use the 'impied pott odds of dinner' until I had atleast won my buy in back by making the money.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:50 PM

You shouldn't be focused on making the money. Playing to win comes first. That said I don't hate this call if you can eliminate a few hands that have you crushed, which hero seems to be able to do.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Geez, how could I forget the implied pot odds of dinner, LOL. In that case, good call.

However, despite his tempting odds, I'd still wait to use the 'impied pott odds of dinner' until I had atleast won my buy in back by making the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Passing up +EV calls because you want one buyin back is a great way to make sure you don't win anything more than one buyin.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A better way to achieve this is to not waste hours playing a tourney.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:56 PM

Well first of all, I don't really see how calling off his stack when he is not a favorite to be +EV. Second, I was being some-what sarcastic with the guy before me about the whole implied pot odds of dinner and his call because of this. I stated in my original post that he had no reason to try and double his stack at the time because he was still around average. He can't win the tournament with this call but he can definately lose it. And the simple suggestion of getting his money back was made because it seemed as if he didn't really feel like playing anymore. So why should he just throw his money away when he can clearly get it back?
Old 05-22-2006, 11:00 PM

Even though he knows he is almost never a favorite 2-1 odds are pretty good. Calling can definitely be +EV if he puts villain on a range of hands that doesn't have him crushed.