Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2006, 08:51 PM

Default When can I call it quits?

Hey guys,

I'm sure this isn't the right forum for this thread, but things have not been going well for me at the tables. I have looked through my PT data for common themes of suckage, and I have noticed two things, one which gives me hope, and one that crushes it. My big hands simply aren't winning that much. Aces make less than a BB/hand, and AKo is pretty much break-even for me. Now to the depressing news: I am winning in every position except for the blinds. I know, I'm supposed to, but I am losing .22 BB in the BB, and .11 in the SB. I am bleeding money out of the blinds. The actual downswing hasn't been violent, it has just been long. I have played over 9k hands, and I'm down 200 BB from my peak, and 50ish from my starting point.

Should I move back to full-ring? Please tell me if I'm being whiny, and I'm sorry, this is not meant to be a bad-beat post. This is a "do I suck at poker?" post. I'm going to keep posting and playing SH until I am firmly convinced that me playing SH is -EV.

So I guess I'm asking if this is normal and to be expected, or should I be worried that I'm actually a losing player?

Thanks in advance for the responses.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:10 PM

Default Re: When can I call it quits?

You lost a buy-in in nine thousand hands and you are worried you can't beat the game? AHH! How do you have a thousand posts? You were unfortunate to start SH play on a downswing.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:14 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I just went through a 13k streak where I was down more than 50 BB, -.21 BB from my big (though breakeven on small) and since moving back to Party I'm winning again. I def need to work on blind defense, and you should too, but if yuo feel your a winning player 9k hands shouldn't deter you.

Btw, I'd highly recomend hand swaps/posting videos/having friends hwo play poker watch you, if you have big leaks it'll probably show and if yuo don't you'll be able to deal with running bad a lot better.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:24 PM

When I started SH, I was at +50 BB from my original point; I had won money playing 2/4 full. I'm down 150 BB from there now. I just feel really uncomfortable now and I'm lost my confidence and mojo.

I'll stop whining and start winning.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:24 PM

last 2 days i lost 300bb, 11k hands,

I am not discouraged, you shouldn't be either. I have had longer losing streaks than this so don't worry.

Hands like this :

Hero raises, guy calls, Hero has AT

flop AT8, guy has 82, turn 2, guy caps, river 8, hero loses big pots and enjoys the downward spiral.

When you lose a couple big hands in a row and you lose a tonne of BB in a very short time, then slowly leak BB you begin to think that you can't win at poker. Enjoy the heater that will come soon.

True
Old 05-22-2006, 10:09 PM

I had that kind of streak too, but this week, I won 150BB in 200 hands. I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] poker again
Old 05-22-2006, 10:26 PM

You are officially my hero.

That is amazing.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are officially my hero.

That is amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't do anything you aren't doing, except rivering about 90% of my draws, and value betting the weakies with third pair.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:27 PM

6-max tends to be a rollercoaster, just hang on and enjoy the ride[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

PS don't whine about losing.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PS don't whine about losing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I didn't mean to do that, I was just worried that I was a fish. I still might be, but it's good to know that 6-max can tear me a new one like I never thought possible. I thought I was ready for a downswing. I wasn't. Thanks for everyone telling me to suck it up [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].