Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2006, 02:32 PM

Default Trop \"Pink Chip\" Observation

Hey,

I play most of my live poker up at the Foxwoods 5/10 Kill, but was in AC this weekend for a private tournament at the Hilton. After busting pretty quickly, I headed over to the Trop for the pink chip $7.50 / $15 game.

I've never played a 3 chip / 6 chip structure before, which by itself, adds to the action in the game with huge monster pots, but this was the only poker game I've ever seen where no one at the table was paying attention to the dollar amounts of the bets they were calling.

For example, if there's a 3-bet preflop at 10/20, someone will say "Oh, $30 to me?" At the Trop Pink chip game, it was "Oh, it's 9 to me?" Maybe because multiplying a non-whole number isn't easy for the standard fare of that game, or maybe because it's just that loose, but basically no one cared that it was $22.50 they were shipping in there. It was 9 chips, and there were a hell of a lot more than 9 chips in the pot. Gambool.

Are there other games out there like this? Or is this the stuff that makes the Pink Chip legendary?
Old 05-22-2006, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Trop \"Pink Chip\" Observation

[ QUOTE ]
Are there other games out there like this? Or is this the stuff that makes the Pink Chip legendary?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo!

-Yarney
Old 05-22-2006, 02:40 PM

Go down the street and play some 20-40 at Taj, then ask me this question. People like to bet their balls off pretty much.

Jeff
Old 05-22-2006, 02:45 PM

Is that game all red, or red and green? Or something else? I think the Borgata 20/40 is $10 chips, right? Blues?

Are you taking the line that live poker is full of idiots at every level and the chip structures are a very minor part of the action? If so, then I guess I have something to look forward to.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:51 PM

The Taj 20 is a red chip game though greens do find their way in. Most of the betting is red though and the pots are basically a sea of red with 6 ways for a raise not being uncommon. Outside of LA (Commerce not Bike), it's pretty much the best 20 game in the country in my experience. People like to gamble and go for those triple shove pots. Also, Taj puts the games on the rail (one of the best rails in poker) and people just stand there and watch with their mouths open. It's fun.

20-40 at Borg is a red chip game also. The 40-80 game is the one that uses blues ($10 chips). The 80-160 uses yellows ($20 chips).

I don't agree that live poker is full of idiots at every level, but there are always bad players no matter how high you go. Just the higher you go up, the fewer truly atrocious players you see and the better the experts are. In AC, 20-40 is pretty much always soft. 40 and higher are lineup-dependent. 80 can be quite tough at times, 40 can be tightish. But weekend nights esp., the action gets good and it's usually never too tough.

Jeff
Old 05-22-2006, 06:10 PM

Where you there on Saturday night? I was in it for the first time as well...I thought the same thing.

There was no sense to the value of money in that game for the majority of players. I saw 63o and 53o shown down in hands that had been raised or reraised preflop (and I'm not talking about the occasional move either...like where I reraised 68s for confusion).

Part of why I sat down with $530 (5 stacks of 40 pink chips plus a 25 and a 5 from another game) and left 4 hours later with 8 stacks of 40 pink chips, 3 blacks, 4 greens, and change. Running goot helped, but that game really is as juicy as they say.

-D
Old 05-22-2006, 06:35 PM

Saturday from about 2pm to 6pm. No idea what table I was sitting at but it was a must move feeding the "main game" and it was really close to the cage. I sat in seats 2 and 4, to the right of, and then to the left of, the most obnoxious moron I ever met in my life. He was loose passive, though.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:54 PM

I was there much later...didn't get in to the must move game until ~11. Since it was a must move, there is no way people were still in it when I got there...that guy was either gone or in the main game by the time I got there...and I don't remember anyone loose/passive and obnoxious in the main game when I got there...only a loose aggressive obnoxious older guy who was in that seat in the must move game when I was there.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...[ B]asically no one cared that it was $22.50 they were shipping in there. It was 9 chips, and there were a hell of a lot more than 9 chips in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you're adequately bankrolled, that's usually the correct way to look at it. The absolute dollar value of the chips doesn't matter, but rather the size of the pot compared to the bet. I'm sure that's not news to you but I figured i should speak up in their defense.

Now, what must make that game great is that, instead of making correct decisions based on pot size, they're there to

[ QUOTE ]
Gambool.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it isn't the disconnect between chips and dollars that makes the game great; it's the combination of super-loose fishy play with that disconnect. I just figured someone should be a nit and point that out. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2006, 12:11 AM

Haha, thanks for being a nit.

Most other low-limit games I've played have some connection to dollars, no matter what the financial status of the player is. Also, usually I hate playing with people who are thinking in terms of their bankroll in the first place, but that's an aside.

Even for the biggest of morons, you'll sometimes see them catch themselves.

"I can't spend $30 on K8o".
" I really want to play this hand, but not for [insert bet amount here]" (This goes particularly well when they show their cards to their neighbor before they muck)

They'd make the same decision about limp-calling 3 bets cold in the pink chip game, if they knew it was $22.50 coming out of their pocket, and not just 9 more chips.

Let's face it, multiplication isn't easy. Especially when it's by $2.50. Love that game.