Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2006, 01:29 PM

Default 25NL - QQ - Not Sure on All Streets

I've only been around a couple of orbits (~15-20 hands) with this group. SB appeared loose/passive, one preflop min-raise with AQo from him. MP1 was tight, this is the first pot he has played since I sat down. I wasn't too sure about UTG, if anything I'd say he appeared loose and has called several pre-flop raises.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP3 ($6.85)
Hero ($33.05)
Button ($25.05)
SB ($37.05)
BB ($27.05)
UTG ($25.65)
UTG+1 ($13.90)
MP1 ($15)
MP2 ($32.35)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, UTG+1 calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $1.25</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $1.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $1.15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $1, UTG+1 folds.

Flop: ($5.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($5.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.75</font>, UTG folds, MP1 folds, Hero ????

MP1 has not played a hand yet. I thought AA-KK was very likely so I just called pre-flop. Is that OK given the read or should I have raised anyway?

On the flop my thinking at the time was that I was WA/WB of MP1 (also leery of SB/UTG) so I might as well see the turn and if it is checked to me again, make a decent bet or call a bet if it is small enough. But thinking over it again if I had bet the flop I would have gained the same information, correct?

So I checked. What would you do on the turn here? That bet is awful weak...raise now or call and see if he makes another weak bet on the river? If I'm WA, he'd fold to a raise anyway so maybe calling down is best here?

This is probably standard but I'm still slow crossing over from limit to no-limit.

Your input is appreciated,

Spencer
Old 05-22-2006, 01:51 PM

Default Re: 25NL - QQ - Not Sure on All Streets

This is why getting info on what a bet like that means is the most important skill in low limit IMHO.

I'd raise this, not too big like say to $4 maybe. This is either a slowplay (ie.. your opponent has 3K's) or it is an attempt to steal the pot cheaply. Has this opponent given up after having a small bet raised? Given no other info I raise this, planning to lay down to a reraise. I probably call a small bet on the river if calls and then he bets really small. As this would probably be the line that a donk with AT would take on this board.

But if you knew his small bets were often slowplays... I'd probably still call given the incredibly small bet, the still real (if diminished) possibility that he is betting a gutshot or something.

If you knew his little bets where crap, I'd probably raise it to pot sized without much fear.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:06 PM

Checking behind the flop is good for pot control. A line of ch/c/c will often keep the pot manageable and gets you padi about as well as you would in most cases from being the lead bettor. I like this line better however with deeper stacks.

In this case, his stack is shallow, so I'd lead the flop, bet the pot and be done with it against significant resistance. You can find out where you are on the flop easily by betting. Also its better for the metagame to just bet out.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:17 PM

Given your read, preflop is ok. That is not a bad flop for QQ but its good to check behind.

On the turn you might as well call down. I would call up to a half pot-szed bet on the river. There is no point in raising because it will just fold out anyone you have beat, and any K is calling you.