Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2006, 10:30 AM

Default Top pair in a small pot

Typical Friday night Party game. 4-5 to most flops. Villian is 23/14/2.46.

Pre flop: Hero open limps JT [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] utg, mp1 limps and bb checks.

Flop(3 players 3.5sb): 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
bb bets, hero raises, mp1 folds, bb 3-bets, hero?????

Should hero have called, folded or raised the flop? Given what he did what is his plan for the rest of the hand?

This was a hand posted in the ss forum that didn't get much discussion that i thought was interesting. I will share my thoughts later.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Top pair in a small pot

Friday night, from the BB..... he is as likely to have an odd 3 or 7 as a set or flush draw - cap it and see if he comes out betting after the turn. If you don't he will bet again whatever and you can't tell if it is because he saw weakness.

If the table is this loose then I would probably limp UTG with 10Js as a raise later gives me info and I am OK with multiway action pre flop. At a tighter table I might raise pre flop as a pre flop raise UTG can take down the blinds and a scary flop can give you the pot. Friday night not a hope of either.

(PS most of my losses are at the weekend!)
Old 05-22-2006, 11:11 AM

What reads do you have on the BB? Has he shown down many hands? From the BB i think he's having a stab at a ragedy flop, perhaps he has T or 7 with a weaker kicker. Cap the flop and see what he does on the turn, I dont think he comes out betting if he's flopped a monster there but, just in case, the cap lets him know that 1. u have a hand ur going to commit to and 2. if he has a monster he's betting the turn regardless cus he's getting action... if so, ur probably behind. call down depending on the turn and river if u read him LAG?
Old 05-22-2006, 11:28 AM

Hero should call the flop and probably raise a blank turn.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:32 AM

In a small pot, I don't mind calling the first flop bet and seeing if anything interesting unfolds.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:02 PM

Eh, you're getting 8:1 and you maybe have 5 outs. I'd fold it. Maybe call just to not look weak and hope to catch on the turn. I can't imagine he's 3-betting a FD here unless he's got 7x[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] so I'm assuming you're behind a good amount of the time.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:03 PM

*grunch*
I'd be very interested in the responses here as the big blind after a pre-flop limp is a big unknown quantity - which is probably why I try to go as aggressive as possible pre-flop to weed 'em out [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

In this case, I would call the flop bet rather than raise but I'm nore sure about the play on the turn if he bets into me and I'm still uimproved with top pair - call him down? In this example, depending on the read, I would really have to put the villian on a 2-pair - in which case it may make sense to fold to a turn bet - especially given the pot siz
Old 05-22-2006, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be very interested in the responses here as the big blind after a pre-flop limp is a big unknown quantity - which is probably why I try to go as aggressive as possible pre-flop to weed 'em out [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a dangerous preflop mentality.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:14 PM

I don't know why everyone wants to call the flop; because you got 3bet? I raise as you did and call down.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:19 PM

Capping is spew with such a weak kicker. I'd call and see what the turn brings. If it brings an over card, the 3rd heart, or 3rd straight card I'm probably gone. I'm giving BB credit for a bigger kicker(but will make him show it cause I could be wrong), overcards or an OESD or FD here with his aggro numbers. Other than that I'll call him down and see what he was so frisky with.