Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2006, 06:02 PM

Default QQQ turned bad, and then worse

Villain in this hand is 17/1.7/1.25 over 200+ hands is one of the better players at the table. No other specific reads though.

Any thoughts or comments on turn and a plan for the river would be appreciated.

Poker Room skin
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $20
UTG+1: $28.80
MP1: $63.25
Hero: $58.35
MP3: $35.45
CO: $63.40
Button: $59.70
SB: $79.80
BB: $41.25

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $3</font>, 3 folds, SB calls, 3 folds.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($7.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $1.5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $7</font>, SB calls.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($21.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $10</font>, Hero calls.

Easy call? Or fold/raise?

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($41.5, 2 players)

This card was pretty bad... Fold to any bet?
Old 05-21-2006, 06:23 PM

Default Re: QQQ turned bad, and then worse

I would certainly fold. It looks like SB bet the flop with either top pair or a flush draw. When he calls your reraise and then raises $10 on the extra diamond Jack on the turn you've got to be afraid he either made the flush or the obvious straight that a King or an eight gives him.

I would probably have folded on the turn. Definitely release on the river to a bet the size of the turn.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:44 PM

Fold turn? you have a redraw to the boat and are getting 3 to 1 with implied odds for the rest of his stack if you are beat now
Old 05-21-2006, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would certainly fold. It looks like SB bet the flop with either top pair or a flush draw. When he calls your reraise and then raises $10 on the extra diamond Jack on the turn you've got to be afraid he either made the flush or the obvious straight that a King or an eight gives him.

I would probably have folded on the turn. Definitely release on the river to a bet the size of the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero is getting 3:1 on a turn call. He has 10 outs to a boat or quads. I think he should be able to get a sizeable-ish bet out of villain on river, so the turn call is OK. Definitely fold river though.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:03 PM

Yeah, with the implied odds I don't think I can fold this turn.

On the river villain mini-bet. Do you think it might be worth a shot at the pot here? What if he checks the river?
Old 05-21-2006, 07:14 PM

Raise the flop more, to $12. That flop is a drawy as they come. The turn call is ok since villain will only have to stack off on the river like 50% of the time if you fill up for this call to be breakeven. I think it is safe to assume you are behind on the turn, villains play looks like a draw that hit. River, meh, I guess in the heat of battle I call something like a 1/4 pot bet but that is probably just spewage. But you never know, he might have an oddly played 2pair here.

Edit: At no point try to push villain off his hand. If you succeed you have the best hand. Just call the minibet.