Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2006, 12:57 PM

Default First Time Post

Hello folks,

After a couple weeks lurking in the various forums, I have taken the plunge and decided to sign up and post. First of all I would like to say that reading the various forums has already been a very informative and rewarding process, and I hope my own contributions in time can live up to this standard. Now the ass kissings out the way [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I have a question (or two) for you guys, but first I'll tell you my poker story so far...

I played my first hand of poker a year ago, after watching it on TV for a while and not understanding really what was going on. So I signed up for a site, played a few hands, and that was it, hooked for life. I started playing play money limit SNGs to learn the game basics, and once I'd done that I moved to NL, and in a month decided to play for real. Now in this year I've stuck almost exclusively to NL SNGs and MTTs. I haven't played cash games (much) for two reasons. The first is that I haven't had the bankroll to support this, I only play small stakes ($5-$10) and I like to play knowing that the entry fee is all I'm gonna pay. The second is that I just enjoy tourneys more, I prefer the overall structure, ie the pressure of the blinds, the faster pace etc.
At first (like many others) I just played for the fun of it, depositing the minimum every now and then and not really caring about the money (thats not to say I wasn't trying to win!). Gradually though, the times between reloading got further apart, and since I opened my PP account two months ago (just after I bought and started devouring Harrington on Holdem incidentally) I haven't deposited since, and actually doubled my initial stake. Now I know two months is a short time, but its good for me lol. My bankroll strategy at the moment is not to risk more than 10% of my account in one game, and er, thats it.
I would like to build my bankroll (oh no, they cry, another bankroll question!!!) but am unsure of the best way to go about this, besides continued study and improvement of my game that is.
What I want to know is do I need to start playing cash games, or can you build your roll with tourneys only?
Do any of you pros play exclusively tourneys?

I apologize for the length of this post but I thought best to give some background info.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:16 PM

Default Re: First Time Post

this should be moved to beginers forum
Old 05-21-2006, 02:56 PM

This would fit better in a tournament forum or the beginners' forum.

There are many professional SNG players. Generally, they play many tables at once. You can build a bankroll by playing low stakes SNGs without multitabling if you don't mind not getting a decent hourly rate. I suggest reading the One Table Tournament forum.

Many people will give you bankroll advice that is out of context. Some will tell you that you need 20 buy-ins. Some will say 50. The right value for you could be very different because there are some assumptions behind those figures:

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] They assume you are a winning player. You don't have close to enough evidence of that yet.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] They assume you are winning at a solid rate. A marginal winner needs a much larger bankroll to be safe.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] They assume you will not reload. Losing everything is supposed to be a disaster, but since you have reloaded before, that probably does not fit you. If you are willing to make more deposits, your true bankroll is larger than your balance, and you can play more aggressively with the money you have in your account.

Though multitable tournaments can be quite profitable, their variance is higher, making MTTs a less effective choice for building a bankroll for most players.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:32 PM

Thanks guys, sorry about the wrong location of the post, I'll take more care in future about choosing my forum.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:14 PM

I recommend starting with small single table SNGs... it will teach you patience and discipline which is an essential part of foundation for any winning player. Log your SNGs and make sure you have 30 buyins. You'd be surprised how much of the battle those two things are. Good luck!
Old 05-22-2006, 03:22 PM

One of the most efficient ways to build a bankroll is to bonus whore. You can build a rather large bankroll playing micro-limit HE as long as you are a break-even or marginally winning player. I see you play SNG's. If you want to learn to play limit cash games, read Small Stakes Hold 'Em by Ed Miller and Sklansky. Also, for bonus whoring information go to bonuswhores.com.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:08 AM

I think it's impossible to build a bankroll playing tournaments only. If you play correctly, cash games will pay you consistantly. In tournaments you have to not only have good cards, but you need the skills to play them properly. Cash games give you that practice. Also, tournament strategy is different than cash games, so you'll have to make the adjustment.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's impossible to build a bankroll playing tournaments only.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry to hear that you think it is impossible. I've done it. Although I mainly play NL cash games now, I went from about $50 to $700 primarily by playing $5 and $10 SNGs.

[ QUOTE ]
If you play correctly, cash games will pay you consistantly. In tournaments you have to not only have good cards, but you need the skills to play them properly.

[/ QUOTE ]
What contrast are you drawing between cash games and tournaments? You can win consistently in both, and you need skill in both.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's impossible to build a bankroll playing tournaments only.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're very mistaken.