Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2006, 04:07 AM

Default Home Game Liar - What\'s your play?

$1/2 NLHE home game tonight... despite two new faces, it's filled with the usual suspects.

I'll set up the situation, detail any particular reads, etc etc, you make the call. Dealt 32s on the button, 3 limpers and the action comes to me. I call, hoping to see a cheap flop, which I do.

Flop: 32Q (rainbow, and suits remain irrelevant for the rest of the hand.) Checked to a MP player who bets $10. Folded to me, I min to $20, BB cold calls, and MP bettor calls.

River:32QJ. Check Check. The cold-caller scares me because he's generally a weak tight player, and I wouldn't expect just a cold-call out of him. MP bettor folds to aggression too much, and I know I can post-flop outplay him. I bet half pot. BOTH call. Now I'm confused.

Turn: 32QJT. BB bets half pot. MP player says in dismay, "Unreal, you hit that straight!" and mucks. As MP is mucking he says to him, "I have AK." Action's to me.

I look at him and say, "You hit the straight?"
"Yea."
"You show?"
And then rolling his eyes as if doing me a favor, "Yea, I'll show."

So I muck... he flips...

K5.

He had absolutely nothing, and stole a very nice pot. In hindsight, I don't know what he was doing cold-calling with K5, but that's why this home game is generally lucrative. I don't know if I would have made the call here, but I would have at least thought about it.

I thought it was dirty.

What's your play?

(READ: I'm not asking if you call or muck, etc... I'm asking how you react to the situation of someone blatantly lying to you like in the situation above.)

A hand or so later, I hear him saying to his friend (sitting next to him), "See, next time, he'll call and I'll have a boat. I'm setting him up." I guess I wasn't supposed to hear that?

ALSO: There is no collusion going on b/n BB and MP player.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:53 AM

Default Re: Home Game Liar - What\'s your play?

Say "nice bluff" and move on. Try to laugh, too.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:19 AM

He pwned you. Not against the rules.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I must agree, and if you are that easy to play..please provide all details of the game, as I must sit in this fish fest...address please! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-21-2006, 09:09 AM

Just because it's within the rules doesn't mean, in my opinion, that it should be a thing to do in friendly home games.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that depends on what your rules are, but the actions violated SEVERAL of Robert's Rules:

"POKER ETIQUETTE
The following actions are improper, and grounds for warning, suspending, or barring a violator:

Revealing the contents of a live hand in a multihanded pot before the betting is completed...
Making statements or taking action that could unfairly influence the course of play, whether or not the offender is involved in the pot.

Although verbal declarations as to the contents of a hand are not binding, deliberately miscalling a hand with the intent of causing another player to discard a winning hand is unethical and may result in forfeiture of the pot. (For more information on miscalling a hand see "Section 11 - Lowball," Rule 15 and Rule 16.)
RAZZ
15. Cards speak (cards read for themselves). However, you are not allowed to claim a better hand than you hold. (Example: If a player calls an "8", that player must produce at least an "8" low or better to win. But if a player erroneously calls the second card incorrectly, such as "8-6" when actually holding an 8-7, no penalty applies.) If you miscall your hand and cause another player to foul his or her hand, your hand is dead. If both hands remain intact, the best hand wins. If a miscalled hand occurs in a multihanded pot, the miscalled hand is dead, and the best remaining hand wins the pot

Cards thrown into the muck may be ruled dead. However, a hand that is clearly identifiable may be retrieved and ruled live at management’s discretion if doing so is in the best interest of the game. We will make an extra effort to rule a hand retrievable if it was folded as a result of incorrect information given to the player."

Both the AK hand AND the liar are violating the rules IMO... and evidently Bob Ciaffone's opinion as well.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:13 AM

lol... people still use Robert's Rules?
Old 05-21-2006, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol... people still use Robert's Rules?

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you use in its place?
Old 05-21-2006, 12:42 PM

Only rule he could have broken was

"Revealing the contents of a live hand in a multihanded pot before the betting is completed..."

However, he didn't have that hand, he was lying.

The stuff about miscalling your hand applies when the cards are being tabled.

Best bluff of the night, I'm sure.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Only rule he could have broken was

"Revealing the contents of a live hand in a multihanded pot before the betting is completed..."

[/ QUOTE ]

smoore, you dont' have a problem with this, then?
"deliberately miscalling a hand with the intent of causing another player to discard a winning hand is unethical and may result in forfeiture of the pot."