Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2006, 09:46 PM

Default Would you make this call?

This hand has been bothering me since I played it. My gut is telling me that I made the right move, but I don't know. Please let me know what you think. I'm having trouble with the converter, so I'll just do it the old-fasioned way. I'll post the results in white. Thanks.

It's a $5 buy-in event on Paradise. I think this tourney had about 850 entrants. It's very early on, no later than the third level, which are ten minutes. I'm third after the BB with 1720 chips (starting stack is 1500). UTG (2980) limps. It's folded to me, and I raise 4x BB to 80 with AsJh. It's been a pretty tight table with a lot of weak players folding. I felt that if I get called I would probably have them beat if an A hit, and possibly even if one doesn't. It gets folded around the UTG who calls. The flop comes down JcTc2c. UTG immediately pushes in. I don't think he has the flush. He has some chips, but he hasn't showed down a hand yet. Also, if he made the flush, he most likely would have checked to me, expecting a continuation bet. I felt he either had a pair lower than top pair, a naked Ac, or both. I just couldn't see why he would limp, call, then make such a huge overbet this early. Would you call?

Results: <font color="white"> I called. UTG shows Ac2h for bottom pair and nut flush draw. Turn is 3d, but the Qc falls on the river to knock me out. Considering I was nearly a 2-1 favorite, and that accumulating chips is the name of the game in tourneys, I think I played it right, considering my confidence in the read. But what do you think?</font>
Old 05-20-2006, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Would you make this call?

Yes, you call. To win the tournament you have to accumulate all of the chips. Don't be so results oriented.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:26 PM

Actually you're closer to a 3:2 favorite. I'm not good enough to pass a 3:2 edge. You aren't either. You both played this fine.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:32 PM

Fold and cry or play like a man.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:33 PM

Don't be a chump...
Old 05-20-2006, 10:40 PM

Thanks guys. I needed to hear that.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:57 PM

I don't give open pushes much credit on boards like this with blinds being so low.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:07 PM

Nobody thinks he could be open pushing a low flush or any two pair like JT or a set trying to not let a flush draw out on him? Your either a slight favorite or a big dog. You could look stupid a lot of times here.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody thinks he could be open pushing a low flush or any two pair like JT or a set trying to not let a flush draw out on him? Your either a slight favorite or a big dog. You could look stupid a lot of times here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could look stupid folding TPTK everytime your opponent might have you beat.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:44 PM

I have seen quite a few players making this play in low buy-in MTT with a naked ace, and I have been a victim of it quite a few times myself with a set/overpair/TPTK, etc etc.

I will probably call this majority of the time having the villain lead push with a suited flop if I hit the TP or better.