Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2006, 02:13 PM

Default pocket pair in the sb against a good stealer

Villain is Spelatight
30/22/2.5 aftere 250 hands

Party Poker
Pot Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $10/$15
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) The_Rudis is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $30</font>, The_Rudis calls, BB folds.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($75, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">The_Rudis bets $15</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $30</font>, The_Rudis calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($135, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">The_Rudis bets $30</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $60</font>, The_Rudis calls.

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($255, 2 players)
The_Rudis checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $30</font>, The_Rudis calls.

Results:
Final pot: $315
Old 05-20-2006, 06:12 PM

Default Re: pocket pair in the sb against a good stealer

yikes
Old 05-20-2006, 06:28 PM

Hmm...that means, no street is played your way?
Old 05-20-2006, 07:28 PM

3-bet preflop. Your postflop play makes no sense. Why bet the turn?
Old 05-20-2006, 08:49 PM

ive seen spela described as a tag by many but my stats on him are 40/27 over 3k hands filtered for 5-6 players. and yes, he absolutely kills me.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:53 PM

I dont want him to take a freecard, and I think he will often raise me again with lot of highcards hands to take a free sd
Old 05-20-2006, 09:42 PM

What would he do if you 3 bet preflop? if he is the kinda player who will either cap or raise your flop bet the majority of the time then calling or folding is better than 3 betting. The problem with 3 betting is when you miss the flop and her raises your flop lead, causing you to fold the best hand.

I actually like the way you played it since you decided folding was worse than playing. Your bets on the turn and flop prevent free cards and put him to the test. at the same time your still in ctrl of this hand.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont want him to take a freecard, and I think he will often raise me again with lot of highcards hands to take a free sd

[/ QUOTE ]

if that's true, don't you want to bet the river?
Old 05-20-2006, 11:36 PM

Spela is 33/21 over 250 hands here (5 and 6 players only), but these numbers could be a little high as he happened to run very good over this period (suggesting that he had better than average cards).

The preflop decision is interesting. While I'm new to the board, the 2x2 default seems to be to rr with 55 in the sb versus a button open. I think this is a borderline hand, and I in fact probably play this something like 50% reraise, 45% call, and 5% fold, depending on the specific context. I am sure few advocate ever folding the hand, and I rarely do, though I do fold 2s through 4s a bit more often. In any event, the pf call (as opposed to raise) can't be faulted. This is one of many situations where your play should not be totally consistent. The flop bet seems correct to me as a checkraise line will often find you putting too much money into this pot with a pair of fives.

I understand why you bet the turn, and again see this as borderline between bet and c/c. I understand it looks like you're a dog on the river, but my experience is that this gets checked behind on the river fairly frequently (with the sb taking the pot and no hand to post, and I think I take down the pot calling a river bet here often enough to make the river call.

Jsbjoe
Old 05-21-2006, 12:09 AM

I think the only part that's ugly is the terrible, terrible pre-flop call. Yuck. 3 bet him or get out.